[Review] Samsung UK service and repairs centre.

Search This thread

Jameslepable

Jul 13, 2011
Liverpool
My OP updated in this thread.

I spoke to Samsung this morning (25/04). They've booked my phone again with ANOVO. The lady on the phone was apologetic and said that if a repair company fails to repair the device 3 times, then Samsung would offer a new replacement straight away. In my scenario, this is the first time I received a repaired unit, and as such I am not yet eligible for any replacements.

So I now await the Special Delivery pacakge to send my phone off to ANOVO.

Three times is such a long time though, that could take a month to get sorted. Am glad mine was with a different company although am a little worried now.

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
[Fri. 27/04/12 ~ 09:45] - Got a call back from ICM according to them the package was delivered Wednesday and they had the tracking number to prove it. Went my reception (I live in halls atm). And they put it in someone else's pigeon hole. This is the second time they have mixed my mail up, which shows there incompetence. But yes package was delivered here on the 25th so it was a week from when I sent it off. Very fast so I would say great company 9/10.

Now the Million $ question: Did the repair company fix your Galaxy Nexus; or did they ruin it like they did mine?

PS* Read my OP for more updates.

Cheers,
SAM

duke_stix

Aug 2, 2006
i've dropped my galaxy nexus off because of the heating issue and also a dodgy power button, luckily intercity mobile is local to me and i was able to drop it off in person, was told they'd have it for a minimum of two working days...all being well i should be able to pick it up by thursday...

samsungs repair process seems to leave a little to be desired ompared to HTC's...

Jameslepable

Jul 13, 2011
Liverpool
Now the Million $ question: Did the repair company fix your Galaxy Nexus; or did they ruin it like they did mine?

PS* Read my OP for more updates.

Cheers,
SAM

O yea sorry I forgot to say they had a note saying they replaced the button, I'll update my OP. Also it was on the same version as it was when I sent it in so I don't think they flashed software.

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
O yea sorry I forgot to say they had a note saying they replaced the button, I'll update my OP. Also it was on the same version as it was when I sent it in so I don't think they flashed software.

You are very lucky that your phone got fixed in the first attempt with no changes to the firmware. Read my OP in this forum for what ANONO did on their second repair job with my GN. Basically they did nothing. Literally.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

My OP in this thread has been updated.

• ANOVO received the phone for the second time on Monday (30/04).
  • I called the ANOVO office on Tuesday (01/05) for an update and the lady on the phone informs me of: 1. Volume and Power buttons have been fixed; 2. Correct phone build (YAKJU) and latest Android OS (4.0.4, IMM76I) has been installed; 3. The scratch on volume buttons has not been fixed because ANOVO wants me (the customer) to prove that they caused the damage.
    I did not argue with the arrogant woman on the phone and said I will take up the matter with Samsung directly.
  • ANOVO dispathced my phone back on Wednesday (02/05).
  • I received my Galaxy Nexus back from ANOVO on Thursday (03/05) and guess what?
    1. Volume and Power buttons are still messed up. There is no tactile feedback and they seem to be stuck and already depressed; 2. Phone has AGAIN been re-flashed with YAKJUXW build and Android 4.0.1 ITL41D; 3. Scratch on volume button still exists. The cover letter which I received this time, is exactly the same (apart from a different engineer's name) and does not even mention the three issues for which I had sent in the phone.
    This is crossing the limit. Absolutely appalling service and blatant lies by the ANOVO Repair Company. Some manager from Samsung Call center is going to get a piece of my mind tomorrow morning.

I am going to escalate the matter to obtain a new replacement now. There is no way I am going to send my phone in for the THIRD time, and that too with the ANOVO Repair Company. ANOVO is unprofessional, incompetent and they clearly do not care about what the customer has written in their page long cover letter.

Jameslepable

Jul 13, 2011
Liverpool
You are very lucky that your phone got fixed in the first attempt with no changes to the firmware. Read my OP in this forum for what ANONO did on their second repair job with my GN. Basically they did nothing. Literally.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

My OP in this thread has been updated.

• ANOVO received the phone for the second time on Monday (30/04).
  • I called the ANOVO office on Tuesday (01/05) for an update and the lady on the phone informs me of: 1. Volume and Power buttons have been fixed; 2. Correct phone build (YAKJU) and latest Android OS (4.0.4, IMM76I) has been installed; 3. The scratch on volume buttons has not been fixed because ANOVO wants me (the customer) to prove that they caused the damage.
    I did not argue with the arrogant woman on the phone and said I will take up the matter with Samsung directly.
  • ANOVO dispathced my phone back on Wednesday (02/05).
  • I received my Galaxy Nexus back from ANOVO on Thursday (03/05) and guess what?
    1. Volume and Power buttons are still messed up. There is no tactile feedback and they seem to be stuck and already depressed; 2. Phone has AGAIN been re-flashed with YAKJUXW build and Android 4.0.1 ITL41D; 3. Scratch on volume button still exists. The cover letter which I received this time, is exactly the same (apart from a different engineer's name) and does not even mention the three issues for which I had sent in the phone.
    This is crossing the limit. Absolutely appalling service and blatant lies by the ANOVO Repair Company. Some manager from Samsung Call center is going to get a piece of my mind tomorrow morning.

I am going to escalate the matter to obtain a new replacement now. There is no way I am going to send my phone in for the THIRD time, and that too with the ANOVO Repair Company. ANOVO is unprofessional, incompetent and they clearly do not care about what the customer has written in their page long cover letter.

If you can request anywhere to send it request intercity mobile. The woman I spoke to on the phone on the Friday was very helpful and called me back first thing the following Monday.

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
If you can request anywhere to send it request intercity mobile. The woman I spoke to on the phone on the Friday was very helpful and called me back first thing the following Monday.

No point requesting my phone to be sent to some company for the third time. It has already been taken apart twice and the software has been completely messed up. All thanks to ANOVO.

I have now initiated the escalation for a formal complaint where the decision will be taken by Samsung HQ. This was on advice of the lady on Samsung's Customer Service. I have documented everything in a letter and sent it to Samsung. I have demaded a new replacement or a full refund. I also made a point that if I was an Apple customer right now, I would have long received an 'in-store' swap for my iPhone.

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
Sounds like a smooth process...

However, does anyone have experience with Samsung's service process if one had to pay out of pocket for repairs (due to a lack of warranty)?

I can't speak for experience with the Nexus but I have a Captivate that is out of warranty that broke down and I called up Samsung for repair and according to them they dont deal with phones that are off warranty so I had to send it to another repair shop they associate themselves with and they gave me a number to call.

Jun 21, 2012
London
Anovo GN

So, I just sent off my GN to Anovo repair through phones4u, it had issues regarding the USB port not connecting to the computer as a unknown device, charging would sporadically work from mains and switched between AC/USB when charging from the PC or Mains. The bootloader was unlocked when I got it off ebay, and because I couldn't reconnect to the PC, I couldn't lock it back.

Do you think it will be alright getting repaired? They shouldn't be able to flash it because it wont connect to any PC through any cable, so i'm hopeful they'll replace the MicroUSB port.

Last edited:

Jameslepable

Jul 13, 2011
Liverpool
So, I just sent off my GN to Anovo repair through phones4u, it had issues regarding the USB port not connecting to the computer as a unknown device, charging would sporadically work from mains and switched between AC/USB when charging from the PC or Mains. The bootloader was unlocked when I got it off ebay, and because I couldn't reconnect to the PC, I couldn't lock it back.

Do you think it will be alright getting repaired? They shouldn't be able to flash it because it wont connect to any PC through any cable, so i'm hopeful they'll replace the MicroUSB port.

I am now experiencing a similar issue and probably will be sending it back as well, Am not sure with Anovo but as long as its stock firmware (no custom stuff) I suppose it should be alright.

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
Good luck!

I had issues after I got my phone replaced after ANOVO caused problems in the first two repair instances. The replacement also had faults (microphone) and I had to get it repaired twice; but I chose InterCity on the advice of several XDA members. They replaced the Microphone and USB assembly on the first instance, which did not solve the issue. On the second attempt, they replaced the entire PCB. Now I just got the phone back last evening and it seems to be fine.

So in all, it took me from 12 April to 21 of June to resolve my issues with the Galaxy Nexus. I went through 4 repairs, 1 replacement and several LENGTHY and frustrating phone calls with Samsung.

Regarding your question, there is a fair chance that they simply wash their hands of the device by saying the warranty is void by unlocking the bootloader. Also, since you bought your device off eBay, I wonder what sort of warranty/purchase receipt you got with the device? Sometimes, the service centres or Samsung do ask for the proof of purchase.

In my experience, ANOVO are useless. They will flash Android 4.0.1 ITL41D (the one with the volume bug) on your GN, and change the build code to YAKJUXW (so you no longer receive updates direct from Google). This will be done everytime you send your phone in; depsite the fact that you were running Android 4.0.4 IMM76I with the YAKJU code when you sent it in. You will also have the pleasure of reading a standard template return cover letter every time you get your phone back. It will simply say 'One of engineers found the problem and fixed it, and another one checked it for Quality Control'. There may not be any quality checks (as it happened in my case) and they didn't even put the phone back together properly (the volume and power buttons got messed up) plus I was never told what the issue was. Terrible service is an undersrtatement here.

InterCity on the other hand have a very helpful staff if you call them, they return the phone securely with a proper explanation of the problem (and the part they replaced), and a full sheet of quality checks with a manual signature and a stamp with the engineer's name.

My idea is not to scare you here. It is best to be a pessimist and expect to receive your phone back broken and not fixed. Anything good happening after that will only be a bonus and you will not be disappointed.

If you face problems with ANOVO like I did, I suggest requesting Samsung to send your GN to InterCity next time.

Good luck though and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
SAM

Jun 21, 2012
London

Regarding your question, there is a fair chance that they simply wash their hands of the device by saying the warranty is void by unlocking the bootloader. Also, since you bought your device off eBay, I wonder what sort of warranty/purchase receipt you got with the device? Sometimes, the service centres or Samsung do ask for the proof of purchase.

If you face problems with ANOVO like I did, I suggest requesting Samsung to send your GN to InterCity next time.

Cheers,
SAM

Okay thanks for your feedback, I got the original receipt with the phone but I guess now I'm wondering is how long it took to get your gnex back? I may still be able to get a refund and return the phone to the seller. I'll let y'all know how it goes though.

Jun 21, 2012
London
Got Nexus Back From ANOVO

It seems from first impressions that they've fixed all the problems it was sent in for, charging and data connection works like it should, and bootloader has changed from how I remember it. More updates later.

Jun 21, 2012
London
Fixed: Updates

It seems that ANOVO Have fixed the problems, I had a little issue with signal at first but a new radio fixed that. They had flashed 4.0.2 and it took around 13 days to get it back, but all in all its fine now. I couldn't tell if they'd taken it apart as the screws look untouched, but I haven't had any problems with it in the week that I've had it for. One thing I wondered about was that the receipt came saying the phone was sold as unlocked contract free, but on the play store the carrier is listed as T-Mobile. Weird.

Any ways, the service wasn't bad, I had a issue during the repair where they needed the passcode to access the phone, but I called them up and they emailed it to the repair centre, and things were back on track by the next day.

My Incomplete log of the whole repair process:

Sent off for repairs (21/06)
Sent the item off for repairs at local phones4u store, to a company called ANOVO. After initial research with less than stellar reviews for repair service on galaxy nexus phones, tracking online the progress of repairs. “Collected and awaiting delivery” to ANOVO repair centre as of time of writing.
(22/06) Collected awaiting delivery
(23/06) Collected awaiting delivery
(24/06) Collected awaiting delivery
(25/06) Collected awaiting delivery
(26/06) In Repair Process
(27/06) In Repair Process
(was assigned engineer but they needed lock code, so called them up and gave it)
(30/06) Repair Awaiting Dispatch
At this point the delivery date has moved up from 04/07 to 07/07
(02/07) Repaired – (Collected Awaiting Delivery to Store)
(03/07) Collected Awaiting Delivery to Store
Update delivery date moved up again from 07/07 to 09/07
Update, Samsung called to ask if my phone was working. Had not been received yet, so lady arranged to call again in two days. (03/07)
Phones4U Call, phone back in store.

Came back packaged decently in sealed bubblewrap bag with documents and a "Smart Service" card outlining the quality checks that had been completed, with Engineer Name and ASC Name and Telephone Number.

Chrissie141010

Nov 17, 2016
Repair os Samsung phone via A novo LTD

Finished the review and have to give them a 10/10 for speed and service. Read full review as your experience may vary.

Some background information first. The power button on the phone stopped functioning properly. It wouldn't recognise a long click all the time (would either detect it as two short clicks) as you can imagine it is pretty annoying and for the price I paid (£530 when it came out). This happened when I was AOKP so I thought I some how potched the flash. Went back to full stock 4.0.4 yakju images off Google's webpage and still same problem, it was at this point I knew it must be a hardware problem.

My Samsung galaxy edge 7 developed a very faint pink vertical line on the screen about 10mm in from the power button side. I contacted Samsung and they arranged for a repair company called A NOVO to deal with it. A Novo LTD has had my phone now for two weeks. Ive had to ring them three times. They fobbed me off to Samsung tracking services, who then fobbed me off to Samsung customer services who then referred me back to A Novo. I haven't know this level of incompetence in all my 48 years on this planet. I have now been informed that the part required will not be in for another week. Then I may or may not receive my phone another week after this. I have been an avid purchaser of Samsung phones and all their products. This is the first time that I've had to use their after care, and care being the operative word. I can also say that "A NOVO UK LTD, based in NORWICH has to be one of the slowest and equally incompetent electronics companies that I've ever known, and that's coming from a BSI Electronics engineer.

I WILL NEVER BE BUYING ANOTHER SAMSUNG AGAIN.

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester
I've stuck with Motorola and LG since the GN and not had any where near the issues, in fact bar the well know LG Nexus 5X overheating/underclocked CPU I have zero issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had to send my phone back to Negri Electronics to be repaired. The received the phone on the 7th of March. As of yesterday they said it could still be another week before I get my phone back. The issue with mine was the wifi stopped working. I'm guesing they had to replace the entire main board. Might as well of given me a new phone if that was the case. I think mine had to be sent to Samsung UK for repair from Negri though. Really missing my Nexus been over a month without it now.
    Good luck!

I had issues after I got my phone replaced after ANOVO caused problems in the first two repair instances. The replacement also had faults (microphone) and I had to get it repaired twice; but I chose InterCity on the advice of several XDA members. They replaced the Microphone and USB assembly on the first instance, which did not solve the issue. On the second attempt, they replaced the entire PCB. Now I just got the phone back last evening and it seems to be fine.

So in all, it took me from 12 April to 21 of June to resolve my issues with the Galaxy Nexus. I went through 4 repairs, 1 replacement and several LENGTHY and frustrating phone calls with Samsung.

In my experience, ANOVO are useless. They will flash Android 4.0.1 ITL41D (the one with the volume bug) on your GN, and change the build code to YAKJUXW (so you no longer receive updates direct from Google). This will be done everytime you send your phone in; depsite the fact that you were running Android 4.0.4 IMM76I with the YAKJU code when you sent it in. You will also have the pleasure of reading a standard template return cover letter every time you get your phone back. It will simply say 'One of engineers found the problem and fixed it, and another one checked it for Quality Control'. There may not be any quality checks (as it happened in my case) and they didn't even put the phone back together properly (the volume and power buttons got messed up) plus I was never told what the issue was. Terrible service is an undersrtatement here.

InterCity on the other hand have a very helpful staff if you call them, they return the phone securely with a proper explanation of the problem (and the part they replaced), and a full sheet of quality checks with a manual signature and a stamp with the engineer's name.

My idea is not to scare you here. It is best to be a pessimist and expect to receive your phone back broken and not fixed. Anything good happening after that will only be a bonus and you will not be disappointed.

Cheers,
    SAM
    It seems from first impressions that they've fixed all the problems it was sent in for, charging and data connection works like it should, and bootloader has changed from how I remember it. More updates later.

Good stuff! I hope you enjoy your Nexus experience now that all is fixed :)