Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,841 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung reportedly selected again for next Nexus...

Tip us?

shawnn218
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm really surprised by the amount of build quality and camera posts. I think the build quality is great, phone feels and looks awesome and it can take some falls. Where do you guys live that you're talking about those things rather than the crap 4g radio? I'm 5 mins outside nyc, I never even saw 3g on my bolt because it held 4g like glue.. and my nexus has the opposite problem; can't get 4g in my house

And if I go into a building in nyc I can kiss 4g goodbye

JoeSyr
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
Noise cancellation is for recording video, not calls.
Found the thread I was thinking of:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1507414
Also this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1363972

So what you wrote seems to be true, but with the caveat that it's only true because Samsung made a deliberate choice to leave out hardware to enable it. I.e. it's a feature not a bug :P
Unless I just read a lot of misinformation?

As someone who talks on my phone and isn't very inclined to record video often, this is a disappointing example of hardware design choice.

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
What i think adrynalyne is trying to say is that pure hardware specs don't mean anything. You could have a hex-a-core-twin-turbo-intercooled-super-snapdragon-tegra-omap, but if there is no software optimized for it, there's no much point. Who cares if the benchmark is 3x the GNex if it loads a web page in the same amount of time? It's more of a "my junk is bigger/better/faster than your junk" thing, not much more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
let me guess. it's not how big it is, it's the motion of the ocean?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @rbiter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
What i think adrynalyne is trying to say is that pure hardware specs don't mean anything. You could have a hex-a-core-twin-turbo-intercooled-super-snapdragon-tegra-omap, but if there is no software optimized for it, there's no much point. Who cares if the benchmark is 3x the GNex if it loads a web page in the same amount of time? It's more of a "my junk is bigger/better/faster than your junk" thing, not much more.

Thanks. I am not exactly the most eloquent poster
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8028

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
Thanks. I am not exactly the most eloquent poster
You have your unique style.

At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

monishvster
Old
Thanks Meter 98

DONATE TO ME
Post Samsung Nexus

Samsung is cruising towards top smartfone company. so it makes sense that google has given order for nexus to it..

[hfm]
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodian View Post
Having owned in the past 18 months a sgs4g, several lg g2x's, 2 sensations, an amaze, a sgs2 and a gnex I find Samsung to have the best build quality even with all the plastic and the phones just seem to run better in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
If you ask me the all plastic is good for build quality. It's light, durable and Samsung is doing a good job with it. My metal HTC phones all creak after a while and are too heavy.

Nexus 5: Stock and naked.

rand4ll
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I personally like the plastic build and light weight of Samsung phones. I carry my phone around in my pocket all day long so the lighter the better IMO.

TheBigX
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianisme View Post
I don't mind the plastic used in the GN to be honest but it would be great if the 'plastic' were made of GRN (Glass Reinforced Nylon), the same material used in the production of many handguns today. Light, heavy duty, and sturdy.
And this material is much more expensive, as normal plastic.
Additional to this, this material will break faster because of his structure.

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
Devices: HTC Magic (32B) -Samsung Galaxy S1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Nexus 7 - Nexus 4 - Nexus 10 - Sony XPeria Z - iPhone 5

vash1053
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I figured Google might use Motorola this time around, but I'm perfectly ok with Samsung making another Nexus. They makes great phones, I don't care what anyone says. They're HORRIBLE with software support/updates/etc IMO, but that's almost a non-issue on the Nexus line so whatevs.

The Following User Says Thank You to vash1053 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]