Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,851 Members 47,137 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung reportedly selected again for next Nexus...

Tip us?

hotleadsingerguy
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeon45 View Post
I'd love for Samsung to make the next Nexus! I've owned the previous 2 and they are outstanding phones, I love how easy it is to root and Odin mode is a great way to fix potential problems. So go on Sammy give me a Jelly Bean Nexus based of GSIII hardware!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Completely opposed to this. Samsung makes acceptable hardware, but their CDMA radios are *horrendous*. It's easy to tell if it's a Samsung phone because you'll get half the signal as any other device.

descendency
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
They build it according to Google's specifications.

They don't "hold back" unless asked to.
This is true, but you can definitely see the style of the company in the phone they make.

Both the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus look like Samsung phones and the Nexus One looks like an HTC phone.

Personally, I think Google is trying to use Samsung as a way to sell Nexus phones, because Google has yet to establish their brand on their own.

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeey View Post
Its because Samsung offers them more money for the Nexus device. Hurr durr.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
Very possible. Its a huge advantage to the company that gets access to the next android source code before the others. Get a jump on all the ins and outs and changes before the competition. I'm sure Samsung made a generous offer to get that access via nexus maker.

Exclusive amoled supplier don't hurt either.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

j.go
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
Google, at least at this point, doesn't care about selling millions of units. No one really buys the Nexus. As much as I wish they did and it was the best selling Android phone of the year, this isn't true. Google isn't looking for a manufacturer based on brand recognition or production yields. Any manufacturer is capable of making enough Nexii for the world.
That is true. But with the success of the kindle fire, google should be rethinking their strategy. Google has been locked out of the fire and amazon will be making a lot of money selling everything through their stores. Rebranding the market to google play was the first step towards that direction. The next step is the nexus tablet which is being made to challenge the kindle fire. At the rumored price point, google will be making little money selling the device, if at all. I assume they will market it as a multimedia portal the same way the kindle fire was marketed.

With sony coming up with their own exclusive store and samsung with samsung apps, google might be worried that they might start pushing their own content instead of those on the market. You can bet that google will be wanting to push the nexus brand sooner or later. To the unwashed masses, samsung = galaxy line = android. I think we can agree that even the naming of the galaxy nexus suggests that google wanted people to associate the gnex as part of the samsung galaxy line, even if only as an adopted brother or something.

So, yeah, selling a ton of nexus devices (phones and future tablets) may not be priority number one now, but it will be soon enough. With proper marketing, the brand recognition of Samsung + Galaxy might go a long way in raising awareness of the nexus brand.