XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

First Steps with a new, used GNex

Tip us?

dvux
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default First Steps with a new, used GNex

In a few days i got a used GNex from a friend, its unlocked but what are the first Steps i must check? Baseband and Bootloader Updates? Battery Reset?

And which Rom/Kernel Combo is the Must-Have today?

Best Regards from Germany
dvux

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8013 mit Tapatalk 4

rnagenetics
Old
Thanks Meter 4
1. Doesn't hurt to be on the latest baseband and bootloader. Some have better luck with different basebands so that may end up being some trial and error based on your location.

2. Battery reset won't hurt either and would give you a clean slate to start from.

3. Rom wise, if you want 4.3 you can't go wrong with slimrom. If you want 4.4 CMetal has the game right now.

4. Kernel wise, everyone has their favorite but Mpokang Kernel v10 is been making the rounds as fast with plenty of available ram. Since we only have a gig ram having plenty extra so there is less swapping helps.

If you are going to use a 4.4 rom make sure to grab the latest recoveries.
The Following User Says Thank You to rnagenetics For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ilans93
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvux View Post
In a few days i got a used GNex from a friend, its unlocked but what are the first Steps i must check? Baseband and Bootloader Updates? Battery Reset?

dvux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagenetics View Post
1. Doesn't hurt to be on the latest baseband and bootloader. Some have better luck with different basebands so that may end up being some trial and error based on your location.

2. Battery reset won't hurt either and would give you a clean slate to start from.

3. Rom wise, if you want 4.3 you can't go wrong with slimrom. If you want 4.4 CMetal has the game right now.

4. Kernel wise, everyone has their favorite but Mpokang Kernel v10 is been making the rounds as fast with plenty of available ram. Since we only have a gig ram having plenty extra so there is less swapping helps.

If you are going to use a 4.4 rom make sure to grab the latest recoveries.
What do you mean under "baseband"? Radio?
Don't be shy to hit that "Thanks" button!
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Previous device: HTC Desire HD (Still not letting it go )

mrgnex
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvux View Post

dvux

If it's second hand I suggest to flash the factory image. Pm me if you dont know how.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
SΛMSUNG/Google Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: A.S.K.P. Patty Remix

SΛMSUNG/Google Nexus 10
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: Stock Vanir

dvux
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
@rnagenetics: big thanks for this points
@ilans93: mhmm i know it under "baseband", but thinks "radio" is a synonym/translation?
@mrgnex: i hope i get it, maybe i call u in a few days
The Following User Says Thank You to dvux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]