Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 52,764 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Superboot - Rooting Galaxy Nexus

Tip us?

Stigy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default Superboot - Rooting Galaxy Nexus

Found this over on MoDaCo forums -- they have obtained temporary root on the Galaxy Nexus: 03 Nov r1: Superboot - rooting the Galaxy Nexus - Android @ MoDaCo

Quote:
Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stigy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FISKER_Q
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Great news, but shouldn't we let the author post it if he wants to release it here?

Stigy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISKER_Q View Post
Great news, but shouldn't we let the author post it if he wants to release it here?
I guess you are right -- probably should have put it in General Discussion and let author of this make his own thread for support.

I'll let the mods decide what they want to do with this.

joshw0000
Old
Thanks Meter 423
Quote:
The OP did link to the site instead of posting the download. I use XDA primarily and would have never found that link had someone not posted it. I don't see why the dev would be disgruntled.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

FISKER_Q
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
The OP did link to the site instead of posting the download. I use XDA primarily and would have never found that link had someone not posted it. I don't see why the dev would be disgruntled.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, i don't think he'll mind at all.

More for purposes of keeping the forums a bit cleaner for when he does post here :P

spences10
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
I don't see why this is a big deal, nexus devices have the ability to have the bootloader unlocked out of the box.

Simply 'oem unlock' download su and busybox from the market, job done.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4

Stigy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spences10 View Post
I don't see why this is a big deal, nexus devices have the ability to have the bootloader unlocked out of the box.

Simply 'oem unlock' download su and busybox from the market, job done.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk
I've never had a Nexus device before -- didn't know it was that easy.

You can download SU and busybox right from the market, install them and you have root access after a 'fastboot oem unlock'?

FISKER_Q
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
I've never had a Nexus device before -- didn't know it was that easy.

You can download SU and busybox right from the market, install them and you have root access after a 'fastboot oem unlock'?
I may be wrong but while it is easy(Being that google considers these devices as developer platforms), it's not that easy.

Even with the bootloader unlocked, you won't be able to write to the relevant directories (as those require root permissions), and as such you still need root unlocked before you can install those from the market.

matt2053
Old
Thanks Meter 299

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I may be wrong but while it is easy(Being that google considers these devices as developer platforms), it's not that easy.

Even with the bootloader unlocked, you won't be able to write to the relevant directories (as those require root permissions), and as such you still need root unlocked before you can install those from the market.
Right its almost that simple though. The typical procedure is:

Fastboot OEM unlock
Fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img
Boot into recovery, flash superuser zip

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

_hyperdude
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:

Well technically you need the su binary installed before Superuser app is useful. You don't need root before you can install Superuser lol

The Following User Says Thank You to _hyperdude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]