Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,290 Members 46,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thread closed

Tip us?

copkay
Old
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by robitron929 View Post
Does this have something to do with ATTs contract with Google and Samsung?
*blink blink* TRWTF is the above question.

As stated, this is a limitation of CDMA, or at least Verizon's current implementation of CDMA. Every 3G phone exhibits this behavior, as well as LTE phones when out of range of an LTE signal.

theherodrownd
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by copkay View Post
*blink blink* TRWTF is the above question.

As stated, this is a limitation of CDMA, or at least Verizon's current implementation of CDMA. Every 3G phone exhibits this behavior, as well as LTE phones when out of range of an LTE signal.
There is one exception to the rule. VZW has updated their CDMA towers to allow SVDO which is voice and data over 3G, however the phone has to have a compatible chip set for it to work. The HTC thunderbolt is the only phone I know of that does SVDO when there is no LTE signal

copkay
Old
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theherodrownd View Post
There is one exception to the rule. VZW has updated their CDMA towers to allow SVDO which is voice and data over 3G, however the phone has to have a compatible chip set for it to work. The HTC thunderbolt is the only phone I know of that does SVDO when there is no LTE signal
Yeah, that's what's described at the "current implementation" link. As far as I was aware, SVDO hasn't been rolled out yet. Has Verizon already "flipped the switch" on SVDO?

theherodrownd
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by copkay View Post
Yeah, that's what's described at the "current implementation" link. As far as I was aware, SVDO hasn't been rolled out yet. Has Verizon already "flipped the switch" on SVDO?
SVDO was ready at launch of the TBolt. There was no press release when it launched tho. I don't think SVDO is going to catch on with VoLTE coming and the power hungry chips is just not q recipe for success
The Following User Says Thank You to theherodrownd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

copkay
Old
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theherodrownd View Post
SVDO was ready at launch of the TBolt. There was no press release when it launched tho. I don't think SVDO is going to catch on with VoLTE coming and the power hungry chips is just not q recipe for success
Ah interesting, yeah, I didn't know that. They definitely didn't bother making a big deal out of it. Well, good to know, anyway.

robitron929
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Wow no option at this point

martonikaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1,714
Quote:
Welcome to CDMA. You can't do simultaneous talk and data over 3G. The only way you can do voice+data is if you're talking on 3G and doing data over LTE. If LTE drops while you're in a call, you have no data.
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!

copkay
Old
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What are you even talking about? You have the entire technical reason behind your question, and you've been presented with the options (use LTE/WiFi). Alternatively, you can cancel your contract and move to AT&T -- have fun with that.

robitron929
Old
(Last edited by robitron929; 28th February 2012 at 11:32 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Well than i m guessing it would be a long shot to implement SVDO into a modded radios package
. Or maybe the hardware's incapable regardless

copkay
Old
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well than i m guessing it would be a long shot to implement SVDO into a modded radios package
Dude. It's a hardware limitation. It's like asking if you can download more RAM.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe