Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,077 Members 37,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tips] Screen Color Calibration for the Galaxy Nexus

Tip us?

MS.
Old
(Last edited by MS.; 28th February 2012 at 09:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 212
Thanks a lot, now screen looks way better. Default settings on Franco kernel gives me terrible blue tint.
HTC One [ROM: Stock 4.3 GPE] [Kernel: default] [Radio: 10.38H.1157.04L] [HBOOT: 1.54 GE, S-OFF]

atsavlis
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Im running RGB -10, 0, 10
Multiplier 400 400 400

Try it out guys, seem pretty nice to me, and helps allot for viewing during the day.

DarkVasyaK
Old
Thanks Meter 3
For me 200 200 200
-10 0 10
is just fine

kashix
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by trasig View Post
must be a typo in his gamma settings -10,0,10 is ALOT better (=
tried again after reading this, color is way too off as well, my eye is very sharp, often faced with very good display panel and I can see the colors very well. The suggested settings/values are way too off, franco's recommended values are much better but no offense, thanks for your effort!

barrist
Old
Thanks Meter 78
aren't there going to be alot of variations in screens so there wouldn't be one set of 'perfect' settings for all?

Enhanced
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
aren't there going to be alot of variations in screens so there wouldn't be one set of 'perfect' settings for all?
That's exactly it. The variations in screens will mean that there will never be a "one size fits all" setting for the offsets and multipliers. I've had 3 GNs and all 3 have had different tints on it's screens.

Thus, it's better to take this as a guide and then tweak to your screen's needs. Personally, I only change the multiplier value and have it at "230... 230... 270...". Makes my stock yellowish tint disappear and I now have a whiter display.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enhanced For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andrewlax120
Old
(Last edited by andrewlax120; 28th February 2012 at 08:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 40
can someone help me out?

i go to etc/init.d then i click new folder and name it 900colorcontrol-b50 (so etc/init.d/900colorcontrol-b50)

when i go to long press it in root explorer i do not get the "open with" options to select text editor

what am i doing wrong?

if it helps, im on franco 13.1, should i upgrade for this to work? and couldn't i just type the echo commands into terminal for multiplier values each boot?

a more in depth guide would be very helpful, i would love to be able to set at boot,

sorry im new to having an unlocked bootloader, came from a droid x

thanks

nfin1te
Old
Thanks Meter 45
I'm sorry, but this is not entirely right.
Your recommended settings are correct for srgb as rgb working space - srgb however has a relatively low gamut compared to adobergb and ecirgbv2. Also, srgb should only be used by web designers, as it is also the native mode of every computer display. Photographers should use adobergb (native dslr color space) or ecirgbv2 (f.e. prepress retouching).

here are the official calibration targets for each color space:

srgb
Gamma 2.2
Color temp 6500k
Whitepoint 140cd

AdobeRGB
Gamma 2.2
Color temp 6500k
Whitepoint 120cd

eciRGBv2:
Gamma L*
Color Temp 5000k
Whitepoint 120cd

None of these settings are good for practical use tho (in prepress at least).
For best color accuracy, I recommend a color temp around 5700-5800k, 140cd and L* or 2.2 gamma, depending on your rgb working space (adobe or ecirgbv2).

photographers should use ecirgbv2 or adobergb, depending on what kind of work he or she does. ecirgbv2 is best suited for prepress use, as it offers the best color conversions to ISOCoatedv2.

General note:
whitepoint should always be adjusted to look like a white sheet of paper of your favorite photo paper.
color temp should always match the grade of white of your fav photo paper (bleached paper f.e. has a higher white point as yellow natural paper)

hth
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfin1te For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MS.
Old
(Last edited by MS.; 6th March 2012 at 02:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlax120 View Post
can someone help me out?
Yes i can

1. Connect your phone to PC
2. Download and extract attached .rar file
3. Open extracted folder and double click on "FixNexusGamma.bat".

PS. make sure you have enabled "USB Debugging" (go to Settings->Developer options to double check).

PSS. This and OP's guide won't work on ROM's that has no init.d script autorun function!
Attached Files
File Type: rar BetterColorsV2.rar - [Click for QR Code] (142.0 KB, 480 views)
HTC One [ROM: Stock 4.3 GPE] [Kernel: default] [Radio: 10.38H.1157.04L] [HBOOT: 1.54 GE, S-OFF]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MS. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andrewlax120
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS. View Post
Yes i can

1. Connect your phone to PC
2. Download and extract attached .rar file
3. Open extracted folder and double click on "FixNexusGamma.bat".

PS. make sure you have enabled "USB Debugging" (go to Settings->Developer options to double check).
thanks man!