XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I went back to 4.1.2

Tip us?

achangavi
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default I went back to 4.1.2

So today I decided to "downgrade" back to 4.1.2 after 4.2.2, and it's almost mindboggling how much faster and smoother it is. After switching back it feels like there is so much lag everywhere in all 4.2 versions, like what was google thinking? Oh well, I changed some of the apps to 4.2 versions, and now i have a 4.2 clone with the speed and smoothness of 4.1.2
The Following User Says Thank You to achangavi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

speedyink
Old
Thanks Meter 347
I don't find 4.2 much slower, but I sure miss the bluetooth not disconnecting every time I turn the screen off.

I mean seriously...I force my screen to stay on it'll stay connected to my motoactv just fine. The SECOND I turn the screen off my connection dies.

Debating reverting to 4.1.2 solely for this reason.

KemikalElite
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by achangavi View Post
So today I decided to "downgrade" back to 4.1.2 after 4.2.2, and it's almost mindboggling how much faster and smoother it is. After switching back it feels like there is so much lag everywhere in all 4.2 versions, like what was google thinking? Oh well, I changed some of the apps to 4.2 versions, and now i have a 4.2 clone with the speed and smoothness of 4.1.2
What's your current ROM setup? Are you on plain stock?

In terms of responsiveness I would try CyanogenMod with a custom kernel. AK Kernel has a lot of performance improvements into it. Battery life is almost doubled as well. A good kernel makes all the difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
My Devices:
Google Nexus 5 - OMNI
GSM Galaxy Nexus - OMNI
T-Mobile Galaxy Exhibit - Repair Still Pending
T-Mobile HTC Mytouch 3G 32B - CM 6.1 Pershoot
T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8830
Amazon Kindle Fire - CM11
Virgin Mobile Optimus V - CM 7.2
Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept - Ubuntdroid 4
Apple iPod touch 1st and 4th Gen
Ultimate Phone Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to KemikalElite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

madd0g
Old
Thanks Meter 691
Good. You don't know the difference, until you go back to it from 4.2, then you realize 4.2 in every ****ing variation is just a turd. I have a phone to make my life easier, not frustrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to madd0g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

achangavi
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemikalElite View Post
What's your current ROM setup? Are you on plain stock?

In terms of responsiveness I would try CyanogenMod with a custom kernel. AK Kernel has a lot of performance improvements into it. Battery life is almost doubled as well. A good kernel makes all the difference.

I tried every kernel, air kernel, diamond, purity from arakia, franco, along with roms from xenon to pure cyanogenmod to paranoidandroid. All of them had lag no matter what kernel/rom combo i used. 4.2.1 is a lot smoother, but still pales in comparison to 4.1.2.

kcharng
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Sounds interesting. Could you point me to a thread on how to downgrade galaxy nexus from 4.2 back to 4.1
?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

KemikalElite
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
I tried every kernel, air kernel, diamond, purity from arakia, franco, along with roms from xenon to pure cyanogenmod to paranoidandroid. All of them had lag no matter what kernel/rom combo i used. 4.2.1 is a lot smoother, but still pales in comparison to 4.1.2.
Well apparently there's a bunch of threads going around about how in 4.2.2 Google increased the heap size (whatever that is) settings from 64mb and 256mb to 96mb and 384mb. Closer to Nexus 7 spec.

whatever settings got changed has been causing a ton of lag.

My Devices:
Google Nexus 5 - OMNI
GSM Galaxy Nexus - OMNI
T-Mobile Galaxy Exhibit - Repair Still Pending
T-Mobile HTC Mytouch 3G 32B - CM 6.1 Pershoot
T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8830
Amazon Kindle Fire - CM11
Virgin Mobile Optimus V - CM 7.2
Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept - Ubuntdroid 4
Apple iPod touch 1st and 4th Gen
Ultimate Phone Guide

SchmeeForce
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Have you tried this? Might help with some lag issues

LagFix

It's certainly helped me "cope" with the lag in 4.2.x

Let us know.

Thanks

SchmeeForce
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SchmeeForce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fajabird
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Your 4.2 lagginess could be related to what I found out and posted here

jxr94
Old
Thanks Meter 205
I'm back on AOKP 4.1.2 and it's honestly smoother than the current AOKP Milestone 1, and that ROM is pretty smooth. I'm liking 4.1.2 better than 4.2.2 honestly, the old camera app is so much better. Also like the old recent apps behavior vs the new one.
HTC Hero > Samsung Moment > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy S3 > LG Nexus 5

If you don't already have a dropbox account, click on this link, and we'll both get 250mb extra, for free!
http://db.tt/cN6AKci

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jxr94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]