5,598,610 Members 44,090 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Who wants to see TouchWiz 4.0 ported to the Galaxy Nexus?
TouchWiz looks great. I would love to see a port. 97 38.19%
We don't need any TouchWiz. ICS is all we need. 157 61.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

TouchWiz 4.0 Port to Galaxy Nexus

Tip us?

joshnichols189
Old
Thanks Meter 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrylTheWolf View Post
You seem to be confused... You're assuming that I'm referring to a specific piece of hardware.

I'm not.

Besides... Given that many of us will simply flash the ROM or that MOST users out there will simply use a different launcher... What does it matter?

I buy a phone for the hardware. I could care less what comes on it as it's going to get flashed anyway.

All that matters to me is that it's got the best mixture of hardware and that it will be (conceivably) compatible with future versions of Android.

I responded to one person's generalized comment that made it sound as though EVERYONE with a Nexus is going to bitch about not having Touchwiz on it - which is an incorrect exaggeration.

Touchwiz is still one of the lesser preferred UI's out there - as is made apparent by the poll in this very thread, no less.

I said nothing of the hardware. Don't read so far into things.
Dude.. we are obviously on the same side of this argument you just worded your reply to the other guy in a way that made it seem like you thought most people wanted touchwiz calm down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Iphone 4S Nokia N9
LG Voyager OG Sidekick
Blackberry Tour 9630 Blackberry Storm 9530
Motorola Droid Droid Bionic; Droid X
HTC Droid Incredible HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Droid Incredible 2 HTC Trophy
HTC Rezound; HTC One S HTC One X HTC G2
Asus Transformer Nook Tablet
Samsung Fascinate Galaxy Nexus Galaxy Note
Galaxy SII i9100 White Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy SIII i9300 Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

CyrylTheWolf
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixPath View Post
The whole TW vs AOSP thing is bunk, people. People like what people like. Get over it.

"If you like TW buy a phone with TW on it!"

...take a gander at VZW's selection and get back to me. No SII.

If they'd sold a TW version of the G'Nex, I'd have been all over it. As it stands, I havea G'Nex and am eagerly awaiting MIUI and/or TouchWiz (4 or 5) to be ported.

TW3 sucked. 4 is actually very usable. 5 looks like Samsung's attempt at MIUI.

...so yeah, I want.
I'll have to check it out if I ever come across an SII I guess. Mostly because it's hard for me to believe after having used TW3 for the limited time that I did before I couldn't stand it anymore. :P

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnichols189 View Post
Dude.. we are obviously on the same side of this argument you just worded your reply to the other guy in a way that made it seem like you thought most people wanted touchwiz calm down.
Uhhh... Ok? I'm not actually mad here. Just confounded. (Again... Reading too far into it.)

The individual I replied to seems believe that everyone suddenly wants Touchwiz when those who want it are in fact the minority. (A well-established fact.)

Given that I was obviously correcting this ill-conceived perception by citing "the few" (who want TW) who do not speak for "the many" (who do not prefer it)...

I don't see how you could have possibly interpreted anything from my words other than what they clearly convey. The words - and their singular context - were quite clear.

Look... Don't worry about it. I feel ridiculous enough typing this explanation as it is.

Back to the matter at hand then...

hosmsdos
Old
Thanks Meter 51
The touchwiz launcher and touchwiz Widgets is already ported just search for them in xda

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Bastyon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default He He

I'm on Verizon because of the network in my area...end of story...so I have Galaxy Nexus. A good friend of mine who gets no Verizon reception when he travels to visit his family is on sprint. He has the Galaxy SII He rooted it but has kept his TouchWiz 4.0 launcher. Its smooth and clean and has no performance issue. We run pretty much the same apps but his device regularly has twice as much available memory as my nexus. And as nice as the new ICS looks compared to the old gingerbread it still has some God AWFUL ugly items..like the hideous dial pad. If I could go out right now and get the Galaxy SII phone at Verizon and trade in my Nexus I would in a heart beat..and I would keep the Touch 4.0 overlay. I don't blame anyone for prefering the Touchwiz look and feel replace some of the still hideous (imo) design characteristics of the ICS on the Nexus.

Just my own thoughts on the matter...not that anyone cares :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Bastyon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1571

DONATE TO ME
IMO if anyone wants TW you'll be better off getting a SGS2 instead of this phone

you get more support from SGS2 Devs anyways, and there are a lot more development going on over at the SGS2 forums

also by installing TW in this phone, it defeats the whole purpose of having pure AOSP in the Nexus

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

kekspernikai
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastyon View Post
I'm on Verizon because of the network in my area...end of story...so I have Galaxy Nexus. A good friend of mine who gets no Verizon reception when he travels to visit his family is on sprint. He has the Galaxy SII He rooted it but has kept his TouchWiz 4.0 launcher. Its smooth and clean and has no performance issue. We run pretty much the same apps but his device regularly has twice as much available memory as my nexus. And as nice as the new ICS looks compared to the old gingerbread it still has some God AWFUL ugly items..like the hideous dial pad. If I could go out right now and get the Galaxy SII phone at Verizon and trade in my Nexus I would in a heart beat..and I would keep the Touch 4.0 overlay. I don't blame anyone for prefering the Touchwiz look and feel replace some of the still hideous (imo) design characteristics of the ICS on the Nexus.

Just my own thoughts on the matter...not that anyone cares :P
I like the dialer Then again, I think most of ICS looks better than TW, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Also, the free memory issue is mostly irrelevant unless it is affecting performance, due to the way Android handles processes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 5 | Stock 4.4

robt772000
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I assume everyone here knows that TW is not just a launcher with ugly icons? Its has some fantastic HW accel. features we don't have like amazing codec support, camera and graphical accel. If you get rid of the launcher and the icons but keep all of the underlying features the SGS2 would rule the world even more. Or just them it then you can have beauty and the beast.
N1 to SGS2 to SGN to HOX T3 to G1 Dev ed. grey Lumia 920 to yellow 920 back to N1 then a Sony Xperia Z via a Mozart and now a black and a silver M7 and now a Nexus 4 and a HD2 running WP7.8 and then a Note 3 back to a silver 64gb HTC One M7 and now HTC One M8.
The Following User Says Thank You to robt772000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3061

DONATE TO ME
There are some screenshots at the bottom of this thread to show what TouchWiz 4.0 would look like on ICS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1420996

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3061

DONATE TO ME
Bumping this

Radsolutionz
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
why??? the purpose of the nexus is PURE google... if u wanted touchwiz just get a galaxy s 2... i dont know about u guys but im happy as helllllll to be rid of touchwiz and my galaxy s 2....... the phone was nice... but i hate touchwiz...
Rad SolutionZ

Phones list: (T-Mobile USA)
Blackberry 8900 > iphone 3g > Blackberry 9700 > blackberry 9780 > HTC Sensation > Samsung Galaxy S II T989 > *Galaxy Nexus 16gb gsm*(TRADED) > HTC ONE S (sold) > Samsung Galaxy S III Pebble Blue (sold) > Nexus 4 16gb > HTC ONE > samsung galaxy s 4 > sony xperia z > iPhone 5 > iPhone 5s > soon a nexus 5