5,595,339 Members 48,313 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu dual boot (Maguro) simple installation

Tip us?

salahmed
Old
(Last edited by salahmed; 25th December 2013 at 03:12 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 546
Default Ubuntu dual boot (Maguro) simple installation

After the announcement of Ubuntu dual boot I visit their page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/DualBootInstallation
(Please visit the page read it carefully to understand what I am talking about)
But I couldn’t understand how to do it under windows, so I open the dualboot.sh and took the link for Ubuntu Installer flashable zip and flash it through recovery.
http://humpolec.ubuntu.com/UPDATE-UbuntuInstaller.zip

I have Maguro with CM 11 4.4.2 installed (although not official “the one from Playfulgod”), with latest CWM recovery, and latest SuperSU installed. And of course opened boot loader…
After installing Ubuntu installer zip and booting to android you will find Ubuntu Dual Boot application, open it and hit install and that’s it. The installation may take more than 10 minutes…
After installation is complete you will have an app in Ubuntu to boot to android, and in android you have the app to boot to Ubuntu, uninstall it, or delete Ubuntu user data…
the first thing i noticed is when i set the time to GMT +3 it is changed in the setting but the clock in the indicators not updated, and of course it has the same lag in the previous Ubuntu touch builds if you know what I am talking about ( if you previously installed and try it ) so don't expect miracles with these developers builds and especially with Maguro specs..

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to salahmed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ferap
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks man I'm going to try it now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to ferap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t1.8matt
Old
Thanks Meter 388
Do you know what directories are added after installing this so you know what to delete if you don't want it on your phone anymore?
Google Nexus 5

Moto X DE

Nexus 7 1G
The Following User Says Thank You to t1.8matt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

salahmed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1.8matt View Post
Do you know what directories are added after installing this so you know what to delete if you don't want it on your phone anymore?
If you want to uninstall it, just open the app (in Android)and select uninstall Ubuntu and it will ask you if you want to keep the user data(that's the case if you want to update Ubuntu, because right now updates can not installed directly and you need uninstall it and then install the newer version with keeping the user data) or you can delete the user data and nothing should be left in your phone and the application also should restore your recovery (CWM, TWRP) as in the installation Ubuntu will use your recovery Partition.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

t1.8matt
Old
Thanks Meter 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by salahmed View Post
If you want to uninstall it, just open the app (in Android)and select uninstall Ubuntu and it will ask you if you want to keep the user data(that's the case if you want to update Ubuntu, because right now updates can not installed directly and you need uninstall it and then install the newer version with keeping the user data) or you can delete the user data and nothing should be left in your phone and the application also should restore your recovery (CWM, TWRP) as in the installation Ubuntu will use your recovery Partition.

OK, thanks. Just want to gather some info before I give it a try. In on toro so it'll be an experiment. Where did you find that zip? I looked through the Ubuntu site and didn't see where to download it for future updates.
Google Nexus 5

Moto X DE

Nexus 7 1G

salahmed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1.8matt View Post
OK, thanks. Just want to gather some info before I give it a try. In on toro so it'll be an experiment. Where did you find that zip? I looked through the Ubuntu site and didn't see where to download it for future updates.
OK if you read the first post you will know. All the download links are in the dualboot.sh just open it as a text file.

R2DeeTard
Old
Thanks Meter 81
any way to get this working on toroplus? i remember there being a build of the dev preview, but nothing past that. I would really love to give this a shot on my device.
If I helped you, thank me!

t1.8matt
Old
Thanks Meter 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by salahmed View Post
OK if you read the first post you will know. All the download links are in the dualboot.sh just open it as a text file.

Gotcha, thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Hmm, I'm getting no available channels under install Ubuntu and it won't let me install. I dunno if being on CM11 is a must or not as I'm on Gummy ROM. Might have to switch it up to see if that works. Didn't see that being a requirement in the wiki page.
Google Nexus 5

Moto X DE

Nexus 7 1G

salahmed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 546
It is mentioned that stock, AOSP, or cm is supported.

blmvxer
Old
Thanks Meter 451
I know this won't be possible for awhile, but I wish this cmda and available for toroplus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
Devices
Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Sprint) - Android 4.4.2(CM11)
HTC Evo Shift 4G - Android 4.4(Evervolv)
HTC Desire(Bravo C) - Android 2.3.7(CM7.2.0)
Nexus 7 - Ubuntu Touch 14.04 and Android 4.4.2
HP Touchpad - WebOS 3.0.5(Have Installed Ubuntu Touch 13.10, Ubuntu 13.04, and Android 4.0-4.3)
Acer C710 Chromebook - ChromeOS 32 and Ubuntu 13.04
Dell Latitude 2100 - Sabayon Linux
Dell Optiplex 755 - Ubuntu 13.10(Liqourix Kernel 3.12)
Dell D600 - Bodhi Linux

Tags
galaxy nexus, maguro, ubuntu dual boot