5,606,151 Members 36,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upcoming new phones and their comparison to the Galaxy Nexus Specs.

Tip us?

Zorachus
Old
Thanks Meter 228
Lately is more about software than hardware. The Galaxy Nexus dual core...1gb RAM...720p screen...its all great. Maybe just needs better processor.

But I LOVE pure untouched stock Android. Sure the Galaxy S3 has better specs, but Touchwizz ****ing sucks. Its so plain and boring. Just no need for it on an Android ICS based phone.

The HTC One X is better than the S3 in my opinion, if you need a manufacturer UI, Sense is the best, second to stock.

For me there is only phone I am drooling for this year = Nexus-Four.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
HTC One M8 - Gunmetal Gray - ATT
[ROM] InsertCoin 2.3.2
Naked no case yet

Nexus 4 running on Straight Talk AT&T
[ROM] Official CM10.2 Nightly 4.3
Kernel - Matrix v10
Case - Rearth Ringke SLIM matte black

ivan08v
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Telling your friends they are holding the phone upside-down when you activate 180 rotation has no price

I had backflip, milestone, milestone 2, defy, sgs, sgs2 and then Gnex

Now for me Android=Nexus
Software integration vs HW

Drzfr3shboialex
Old
Thanks Meter 105

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
Lately is more about software than hardware. The Galaxy Nexus dual core...1gb RAM...720p screen...its all great. Maybe just needs better processor.

But I LOVE pure untouched stock Android. Sure the Galaxy S3 has better specs, but Touchwizz ****ing sucks. Its so plain and boring. Just no need for it on an Android ICS based phone.

The HTC One X is better than the S3 in my opinion, if you need a manufacturer UI, Sense is the best, second to stock.

For me there is only phone I am drooling for this year = Nexus-Four.

I agree with sense. I had a tmo gs2(coming from a Mytouch 4g slide) and touchwiz ruined my experience I vowed to only buy Sony/HTC/Samsung Nexus phones or really good HTC phones, but ill stick to the nexus. Ill be buying my galaxy nexus this month , and the one after that if made by one of the carriers I listed

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 391
I always take interest in the latest phones released. But nothing has caught my eye to make e lose interest in the nexus. I like the whole package of a nexus, its more of a project phone. I like having a device that has full released code. Its like a living project more than just a commercial device. Always able to get new code releases and change it by the devs. Its way more fun as that package over the latest hardware specs. Plus its looks are timeless and gorgeous. That does it for me.
My boring Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
ROM: AOKP 29 4.0.4
Recovery: CWM Touch

Jayrod1980
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Honestly I'm only really jealous of the one x ips LCD screen. This screen is fine on the nexus but I think better battery life overall would be achieved with that screen. Probably a little more uniform quality as well. Yes you give up some deepness in blacks, but not nearly as much as you used to. As for pentile, at 720p I can't see it and I have perfect vision. If the one x had never come out I would not have cared about the screen.

That being said, the hardware on the Nexus is fine. Its easily enough to hold me over for at least a year, maybe more. I love the line, and only getting a new version nexus will keep me from keeping this phone over a year. This is actually the first phone I've had that actually feels complete. Its not really lacking anywhere power wise. I felt the nexus s and before that all the other 5 android phones I've owned, including the first, the g1, were a bit pokey and frustrating to use after a while. Much of this is the improvement of the browser in ics and having a dual core with dual channel memory. More hardware acceleration doesn't hurt either. I used to need the best specs, but I'm finally content with this phone. I'd rather the screen not get any bigger as one handed things are about at my limit with this screen.

Also, the timely software updates can never be overstated. Getting new android updates makes these phones feel new every time we get a major update. I feel this is the only real apple level supported device. It is meant to last more than just 6 months as most androids tend to feel.

Omap is also an excellent choice for hardware. I pray they keep using the soc, the radio bands and open sourcing matched with power vr line gpus are an excellent combination.

The only things I'm jealous of are the one x screen, the sgs3 SD card slot, and the razr maxx battery. I hope Google gives us an SD card option in the future with the next device but its not a deal breaker.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jayrod1980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WiredPirate
Old
Thanks Meter 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step666 View Post
Nah, some of us are special

IMO, at the moment, none of the competing handsets are that much better than the Nexus to warrant changing but if you were due an upgrade, the likes of the One X or the Galaxy S3 have got to be worthy of consideration.

And the idea that you choose your handset based on firmware strikes me as rather odd. That's pretty much the antithesis of the purpose of XDA, which is that your handset is never limited to the firmware it ships with.
You buy a handset based on the hardware then make the firmware fit your needs.
But all the best custom firmware is usually released on the Nexus FIRST, as well as the newest stock firmware. Also if you look at hardware ONLY you may get stuck with a locked bootloader, unable to change your firmware.
VZW Moto X
STOCK 4.4

Apple iPad WiFi 64GB 3rd GEN

VZW/LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- RETIRED
Motorola Atrix 4G - SOLD
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate - SOLD

Smokeey
Old
Thanks Meter 321
I think having more than 2 A9's is VERY battery inefficient. Just upgrade to 2 A15's already.

-coughs- Samsung...

EDIT: Also, Sticky this thread?

"the definition of open: 'mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make'" -Andy Rubin

Devices:
Droid Incredible
Samsung Galaxy Nexus[LTE]
LG G2[T-Mobile]

Step666
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredPirate View Post
But all the best custom firmware is usually released on the Nexus FIRST, as well as the newest stock firmware.
The major custom ROMs like CM, AOKP etc tend to be released pretty much simultaneously for a wide range of handsets.
I'll give you the point about stock firmware but as I touched upon before, if we were all just going to stick with stock firmware, why would we be here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredPirate View Post
Also if you look at hardware ONLY you may get stuck with a locked bootloader, unable to change your firmware.
If you only consider the best hardware available, that basically limits you to HTC and Samsung.
HTC let you unlock your bootloader and Samsung don't lock theirs.

I take your point though, it was a slight over-simplification on my part. I should've said that I pick my devices based on what has the best hardware, provided it's not a Motorola
Not that I see Motorola competing at the very top level any time soon.

tylerdurdin
Old
Thanks Meter 430
The only thing I disagree with in these post is Dev support and roms.....The Gnex has about a third of the Roms and Development as the SGSII....especially the I777. It was also like that on The last Nexus.

killing is my business, And business is good.

HTC HD2, Sony Xperia X10, Samsung Captivate, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC One X, HTC One

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdin View Post
The only thing I disagree with in these post is Dev support and roms.....The Gnex has about a third of the Roms and Development as the SGSII....especially the I777. It was also like that on The last Nexus.

killing is my business, And business is good.
Only because we don't:
  • Use zip roms
  • have GB and ICS roms
  • Have touchwiz roms
  • Have a need for debloat roms

I can live with that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]