Updated 24.11- Galaxy Nexus Volume problem is hardware related...but fixable by soft?

OP w1nter456

21st November 2011, 06:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96

527 posts
Donate to Me
Well, as you can see from the video below, the guy set the highest volume, then place the smartphone near the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Nexus respond to it. This is CLEARLY hardware issues. This could be the real reason Verzion still haven't release the Galaxy Nexus yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIFRYY25fDo
Thanks dnlsmy.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

Update 1
Google "We are aware of the volume issue and have developed a fix. We will update devices as soon as possible."(and you holding it wrong xDD) jk

Update 2: Lee Johnston explain of "volumegate" issue
Let's talk about the Google Nexus "volumegate" issue.

Today Google said that they have fixed the problem in software, and that a fix is coming.
I see many people saying this is a bunch of BS, but in reality they just have no idea how complex electronic circuits and software interact.

I'm a Systems Engineer and also a Developer. I deal with things like this every day.

What we have here is indeed a hardware issue, in that the radio interference is coming in through the radio hardware.
However things like this can be fix fairly easily in software. It's called debounce.
When you monitor an electronic input like the buttons on a phone there is always noise and flutter even when you just press the button. If testing by Google has shown that they just need to turn up the debounce time (the time which an input must exceed for it to be determined to be a genuine press) then it will more than likely just work and no one will ever see ti again.

Like I said I deal with this kind of thing every day, it's not a big deal as long as your debounce time is not excessive. But noise happens down on the order of 1 to 40 ms, real inputs when you press a button last from 100 or 200ms if you tap the button, up to seconds if you hold it down.

This is nothing like Apple and the iPhone 4 antennae problems that could not be fixed in software. I'm sure everyone will see in due time, the problem will be fixed, and the dust will blow over.

And people will be saying "wow, I was wrong, Google rocks

Cheers,

Lee

Finally, Where is the GSM HSPA+ 32GB version of Galaxy Nexus??????!!!
Last edited by w1nter456; 24th November 2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Finally Google response to this issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w1nter456 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2011, 07:09 PM   |  #2  
Flag Tampa/Orlando, Florida
Thanks Meter: 102

587 posts
More
Yeah, and for further proof, he does it in the bootloader screen of the GNex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

This seems like it's a hardware fault entirely.
21st November 2011, 07:15 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 44

384 posts
More
I wasn't sure what the test was but it looked inconclusive to me. Almost looks random.
21st November 2011, 07:22 PM   |  #4  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,714

7,850 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedAz

I wasn't sure what the test was but it looked inconclusive to me. Almost looks random.

He has an incoming call on the other device. When it touches the side of the Galaxy Nexus it causes the volume to erratically go down/up. It just shows that the radios are effecting the volume.

This would fit with people saying its happening when the phone is in 2G networks.
21st November 2011, 07:25 PM   |  #5  
Flag Widnes
Thanks Meter: 130

896 posts
More
Quote:

well you're mistaken then. the test is not inconclusive at all.
21st November 2011, 07:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 44

384 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj

He has an incoming call on the other device. When it touches the side of the Galaxy Nexus it causes the volume to erratically go down/up. It just shows that the radios are effecting the volume.

This would fit with people saying its happening when the phone is in 2G networks.

Ok, gotcha.

Still could be software and even if it were hardware a little software patch could resolve it.
21st November 2011, 07:51 PM   |  #7  
Flag Widnes
Thanks Meter: 130

896 posts
More
Quote:

Ok, gotcha.

Still could be software and even if it were hardware a little software patch could resolve it.

no software patch can fix this. the phone has inadequate RF shielding.
21st November 2011, 07:53 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 39

211 posts
My bionic which I know is a different device does something similar. When I put it next to my corded work phone and the bionic switches to 4g it causes the speaker on my work phone to male a distortion noise even when it is hung up. So I can see where the radios cause some sort of interference on these 4g phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
21st November 2011, 08:06 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 38

211 posts
Quote:

Ok, gotcha.

Sadly no. The phone was shown to be affected even whilst in the bootloader-- a place unaffected by the OS software and everything that it contains.

Edit: Here is the video of it being affected at the bootloader: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0
Last edited by vash1053; 21st November 2011 at 08:10 PM.
21st November 2011, 08:22 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 121

115 posts
Does this affect certain frequencies. It seems like the signals are affected in the US. Only UK signals?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread