Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Video playback on GN (compared to the Note)

Tip us?

paulshields
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Default [Q] Video playback on GN (compared to the Note)

There's a thread over in the Note section about poor black rendering in some videos. Could someone try out the sample on the Nexus and see if that too shows the same artifacts? The clip is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?53da859r2g...4zi4js5g42uxu4

Trying to determine if this is specific to the Note, the screen, or possibly poor software/codec rendering...

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
* Bump *

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
I havent seen any other discussion about this based on the search terms I've used and some people said that the Nexus also suffers from the same issue.

Can anyone perform some testing ?
http://www.mediafire.com/?qd2a1d8jm18vvbs

Use the stock player (HW acceleration mode)
Set the screen brightness on the player to lowest
View in a dark room to avoid any distraction from reflections, viewing this with ambient light actually makes it less problematic.

Post results.

MS.
Old
Thanks Meter 212
I've downloaded video from first post but video player refuses to play it, sorry. But i was able to play above posted .mkv file and yes, picture looks pretty bad in very dark areas. I don't think we can change anything, that's how our SAMOLED works.

Sent from my SuperGalaxy SuperNexus!
HTC One [ROM: Stock 4.3 GPE] [Kernel: default] [Radio: 10.38H.1157.04L] [HBOOT: 1.54 GE, S-OFF]
The Following User Says Thank You to MS. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS. View Post
I've downloaded video from first post but video player refuses to play it, sorry. But i was able to play above posted .mkv file and yes, picture looks pretty bad in very dark areas. I don't think we can change anything, that's how our SAMOLED works.

Sent from my SuperGalaxy SuperNexus!
Thanks for trying the video above, other SAMOLED devices display it video w/o any issues.. Like the Samsung Wave , Galaxay S1 and Galaxy S2.

What bothers me though is that on some Galaxy Note's with the very same settings and scenario above it has far lesser issues.

Im actually surprised this is not covered on the Galaxy Nexus sub forums, maybe no one watches HD movies on a 4.65" screen ?

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
More feedback from users would be nice so samsung can take a look at this issue.

tannor
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I have seen this on several videos. I thought it was because of codec but realized did not happen on any other device i had.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

robt772000
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Android 4.0 does not have native .mkv support like TW devices. It has the ability to hardware decode because the OMAP4460 chipset can decode it but after the update to 4.0.2 divx support was removed for some reason.
4.0.2 changelog:

Device features
Optimized Mobile Hotspot when used with VPN.
Optimized 3G/4G data sessions for faster response times.
Fixed an incorrect notification that “data was disconnected due to roaming”.
Wi-Fi now automatically reconnects when returning to a known Access Point.
Improvements to special visual effects feature when using front-facing camcorder.
Visual improvements to the lock screen.
Email & messaging
Fixed an issue where some email attachments would not open correctly.
Apps & Widgets
DivX support has been removed, and will be supported in a future upgrade.
Improved audio volume in Google navigation turn-by-turn directions.
N1 to SGS2 to SGN to HOX T3 to G1 Dev ed. grey Lumia 920 to yellow 920 back to N1 then a Sony Xperia Z via a Mozart and now a black and a silver M7 and now a Nexus 4 and a HD2 running WP7.8 and then a Note 3 back to a silver 64gb HTC One M7 and now HTC One M8 and now a Sony Xperia Z2 back to a 32gb M8 and now a G watch with an LG G3.

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Try it with mVideo or Dice player, it should work.

ushim6
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Any of the many good video players should work.

MX Video Player even has dual-core support...