FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

WCDMA Preferred on 4.0.4 (GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) on 4.0.2)

178 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
By taylerdurden, Senior Member on 30th March 2012, 10:23 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Anyone noted that? In the secret menu (you can access dialing *#*#4636#*#*, in the first section) with the 4.0.4 'WCDMA Preferrer' is selected, and you canīt change that because it returns to the default value. In the 4.0.2, the default was GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL).

I think that is important because if affects the battery life in standby. In the Nexus One, the battery last much longer in GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) mode than WCDMA Preferred.

What do you think guys?
 
 
30th March 2012, 10:34 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 220
 
More
I did notice the change, but you are wrong saying it affects battery life. Theres a reason you cant change it, let it be.
The Following User Says Thank You to MatAuc12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2012, 10:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatAuc12

I did notice the change, but you are wrong saying it affects battery life. Theres a reason you cant change it, let it be.

It affects the battery in the Nexus One..
31st March 2012, 01:49 AM |#4  
times_infinity's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,614
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdurden

It affects the battery in the Nexus One..

Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus are two different phones with two different sets of hardware made by two different manufacturers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to times_infinity For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 02:03 AM |#5  
adrynalyne's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,596
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by times_infinity

Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus are two different phones with two different sets of hardware made by two different manufacturers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA



The sooner he realizes that turning off wcdma means no 3g, the quicker we can chuckle about it.


And yeah, 2g is better on battery.

Edit: That was a bit mean, but really, Google this a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 06:59 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag essex lad
Thanks Meter: 92
 
More
Hmm, interesting I remember on the first htc desire and the htc hero, it was recommended to use gsm auto prl, as it saved battery, and their was an interesting thread about how it worked, and I use to use an app "network ", by Phillip, and it helped to chose the gsm auto prl, but when I tried to use the same app, on my galaxy s2, it wouldn't work anymore, as the gsm auto prl setting wouldn't stick, so I suppose the phones nowadays use a completely new framework. I just set mine to auto select Gsm /wcdma if am in a place of good coverage and when coverage isn't good, I just set it to gsm. My two cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to marvi0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 09:07 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
I am agree, but there is something strange. People who have received the official ota with all stock, told me that they have the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) activated, like in 4.0.2. But, like me, people who have updated whit the full system image have WCDMA Preferred and cannot change..
31st March 2012, 09:23 AM |#8  
andQlimax's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 941
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdurden

I am agree, but there is something strange. People who have received the official ota with all stock, told me that they have the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) activated, like in 4.0.2. But, like me, people who have updated whit the full system image have WCDMA Preferred and cannot change..

I updated with the ota and also wcdma is selected... I would say it's better than the previous (ambiguous) GSM/cdma..our phone is not cdma..
Probably the best option to save battery would be GSM auto prl...

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to andQlimax For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 10:23 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andQlimax

I updated with the ota and also wcdma is selected... I would say it's better than the previous (ambiguous) GSM/cdma..our phone is not cdma..
Probably the best option to save battery would be GSM auto prl...

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk

What option had you before the OTA arrives to your phone? Or have you update the OTA manually?
31st March 2012, 12:27 PM |#10  
Senior Member
near amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 326
 
More
Same here...i flashed the image from Google and can't change it although when i select 2g only in settings menu it does change from wcdma to gsm only...

Didn't check this menu after updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

*i have gsm gnex..on 4.0.3 roms the setting would be gsm/cdma

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk
Last edited by odin13; 31st March 2012 at 12:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to odin13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 02:56 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin13

Same here...i flashed the image from Google and can't change it although when i select 2g only in settings menu it does change from wcdma to gsm only...

Didn't check this menu after updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

*i have gsm gnex..on 4.0.3 roms the setting would be gsm/cdma

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk

Since I buyed the phone, that means with 4.0.2 and 4.0.1, I have had GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL), it is asi the phone comes becuase I kept it all stock. But, fur installing the 4.0.4 I have flashed the full image, and it is then the change has come. It is very strange, because people who have received the OTA officially, keeps the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) selected..

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes