Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 40,937 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WCDMA Preferred on 4.0.4 (GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) on 4.0.2)

Tip us?

taylerdurden
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default WCDMA Preferred on 4.0.4 (GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) on 4.0.2)

Anyone noted that? In the secret menu (you can access dialing *#*#4636#*#*, in the first section) with the 4.0.4 'WCDMA Preferrer' is selected, and you canīt change that because it returns to the default value. In the 4.0.2, the default was GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL).

I think that is important because if affects the battery life in standby. In the Nexus One, the battery last much longer in GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) mode than WCDMA Preferred.

What do you think guys?

MatAuc12
Old
Thanks Meter 220
I did notice the change, but you are wrong saying it affects battery life. Theres a reason you cant change it, let it be.
The Following User Says Thank You to MatAuc12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taylerdurden
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatAuc12 View Post
I did notice the change, but you are wrong saying it affects battery life. Theres a reason you cant change it, let it be.
It affects the battery in the Nexus One..

times_infinity
Old
Thanks Meter 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdurden View Post
It affects the battery in the Nexus One..
Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus are two different phones with two different sets of hardware made by two different manufacturers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
. . .

Twitter: @times_infinity

Synacking
Akaineing

Lurk, Learn, and STFU
RTFM

ShadowFall
If you like what I do or have helped you in any way why not buy me some pizza?
The Following User Says Thank You to times_infinity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by times_infinity View Post
Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus are two different phones with two different sets of hardware made by two different manufacturers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

The sooner he realizes that turning off wcdma means no 3g, the quicker we can chuckle about it.

And yeah, 2g is better on battery.

Edit: That was a bit mean, but really, Google this a bit.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!
The Following User Says Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marvi0
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Hmm, interesting I remember on the first htc desire and the htc hero, it was recommended to use gsm auto prl, as it saved battery, and their was an interesting thread about how it worked, and I use to use an app "network ", by Phillip, and it helped to chose the gsm auto prl, but when I tried to use the same app, on my galaxy s2, it wouldn't work anymore, as the gsm auto prl setting wouldn't stick, so I suppose the phones nowadays use a completely new framework. I just set mine to auto select Gsm /wcdma if am in a place of good coverage and when coverage isn't good, I just set it to gsm. My two cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to marvi0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taylerdurden
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I am agree, but there is something strange. People who have received the official ota with all stock, told me that they have the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) activated, like in 4.0.2. But, like me, people who have updated whit the full system image have WCDMA Preferred and cannot change..

andQlimax
Old
Thanks Meter 840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdurden View Post
I am agree, but there is something strange. People who have received the official ota with all stock, told me that they have the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) activated, like in 4.0.2. But, like me, people who have updated whit the full system image have WCDMA Preferred and cannot change..
I updated with the ota and also wcdma is selected... I would say it's better than the previous (ambiguous) GSM/cdma..our phone is not cdma..
Probably the best option to save battery would be GSM auto prl...

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk
Google Nexus 5 | Stock Rom | Rooted | Xposed
Galaxy Nexus GSM GT-I9250 (maguro) | yakju | TWRP 2.4.1.0 | BOOTLOADER PRIMEMD04 | RADIO XXLJ1 | Stock JWR66Y 4.3 + Root
HTC Desire GSM A8181 (bravo) AMOLED| PVT1 | HBOOT 0.93.1000 S-OFF CM7r1 | 4EXT Touch Recovery | RADIO 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23 | CM 7 Nightly | A2SD 512MB EXT4
Nokia N70

Delayed Push Notifications? Push Notifications Fixer
The Following User Says Thank You to andQlimax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taylerdurden
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andQlimax View Post
I updated with the ota and also wcdma is selected... I would say it's better than the previous (ambiguous) GSM/cdma..our phone is not cdma..
Probably the best option to save battery would be GSM auto prl...

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk
What option had you before the OTA arrives to your phone? Or have you update the OTA manually?

odin13
Old
(Last edited by odin13; 31st March 2012 at 12:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 308
Same here...i flashed the image from Google and can't change it although when i select 2g only in settings menu it does change from wcdma to gsm only...

Didn't check this menu after updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

*i have gsm gnex..on 4.0.3 roms the setting would be gsm/cdma

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk
HTC Hero >> CronosFroyo 0.2 <<

The Following User Says Thank You to odin13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]