Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Accidentally tore off two surface mount capacitor... what to do?

OP gulmat

24th February 2013, 03:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Right here!
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
Hi folks, here's the story,

my nexus started to act up (phantom charging) a few weeks ago. So I tried to clean the usb port the best I could (there was surprisingly a lot of pocket lint in it!). However that didn't do the trick, so next thing in my list was maybe it could be caused by corroded connection inside the phone(happened to a phone I had before). So I proceeded to open my nexus but accidentally tore off two surface mount capacitors while opening the phone. So my question is, has anyone any ideas what those two capacitors (circled in red) are used for? Or had any similar incident and what you did to repair it?

To be noted that I don't have motor skills precise enough to solder these back and there's no one in my town that could either...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ll0limxw...pacitorBig.jpg

Thanks for the help!
24th February 2013, 03:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 37

112 posts
More
I'm not sure what those Surface Mount Capacitors do, but you wouldn't directly solder them back on. You would use solder paste (flux) to hold the capacitor in place, and then use a heat gun to melt the suspended solder, forming a permanent connection. You will need a micro tweezers, heat gun, and solder paste, all available from Radio Shack, and should cost you no more than $20-30.
24th February 2013, 07:26 AM   |  #3  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 450

2,043 posts
More
I will not connect the board to the battery, the 2 caps maybe and most likely is important..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread