Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 42,453 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Accidentally tore off two surface mount capacitor... what to do?

Tip us?

gulmat
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Accidentally tore off two surface mount capacitor... what to do?

Hi folks, here's the story,

my nexus started to act up (phantom charging) a few weeks ago. So I tried to clean the usb port the best I could (there was surprisingly a lot of pocket lint in it!). However that didn't do the trick, so next thing in my list was maybe it could be caused by corroded connection inside the phone(happened to a phone I had before). So I proceeded to open my nexus but accidentally tore off two surface mount capacitors while opening the phone. So my question is, has anyone any ideas what those two capacitors (circled in red) are used for? Or had any similar incident and what you did to repair it?

To be noted that I don't have motor skills precise enough to solder these back and there's no one in my town that could either...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ll0limxw...pacitorBig.jpg

Thanks for the help!

A30N
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I'm not sure what those Surface Mount Capacitors do, but you wouldn't directly solder them back on. You would use solder paste (flux) to hold the capacitor in place, and then use a heat gun to melt the suspended solder, forming a permanent connection. You will need a micro tweezers, heat gun, and solder paste, all available from Radio Shack, and should cost you no more than $20-30.

Mach3.2
Old
Thanks Meter 450
I will not connect the board to the battery, the 2 caps maybe and most likely is important..
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM.

Titanium Silver GSM Galaxy Nexus 16GB
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.3
ROM: CM10.2 23/10 Nightly
Kernel: Lean Kernel 8.3 Experimental
Radio: XXLJ1
Bootloader: PRIMELC03

Jubakuba's Guide
Stock Nexus Images
Unlock gnex bootloader without root

Making a Dropbox account?
Click this referral link to signup and download the Dropbox application so both of us get extra 500MB of space