No registration required

Wink [ISSUE][SOLVED] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

OP furius

28th January 2013, 01:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47

319 posts
More
This issue probably requires Developer actions to be solved … anyway I’m posting on General section cause it’s not a properly developer thread …

Since Android 4.1.2 there’s a problem in tethering for all people that has a carrier plan that doesn’t include Tethering. I’m on Vodafone Italy with “mobile internet” plan (2GB/month). I have never had problem with tethering my data connection from my phone to a laptop or tablet but starting from Android 4.1.2 upgrade I noticed that when I activate built in wifi hotspot the APN is automatically and secretly changed from the default one (mobile.vodafone.it) to a new one (web.omnitel.it) that charges my bill with additional costs … It happened to me in the past using branded phone with branded firmware, but after rooting and switching to CyanogeMod firmware the problem was solved … now I’m on an unlocked Galaxy Nexus with CM or others custom ROM …

On 4.1.2 I bypassed this problem using dedicated app “Wifi Tether for Root”, but now on 4.2.1 also this app doesn’t work anymore (ok this is another issue, here you can find more details).

Well … rather bad … I did a lot of research on the web, and here is the most interesting thing I found:

A person working for Roger carrier stated this (see original thread and full post here ):
Quote:

Android 4.1.2 introduced that ability (and requirement) for Android devices to properly flag when data is for tethering purposes. This is the first time this has been used in a vanilla release of Android.
For everyone frustrated by this update to Android: Android respecting a carrier's request to know if data is for a tethered device IS NOT A BUG. IT IS A FEATURE. It's not a feature for users like you and me, it's a feature for manufacturers like Samsung and HTC, so they can in turn build devices that carriers can have more control over.

So, to be clear, THIS IS NOT A BUG. Google INTENDED to respect carrier tethering rules.

So, can someone confirm this behavior? Is there some Developer that can intercept the section of Android OS code that apply this flag to the data download and find the way to avoid this annoying issue??
I want to tether again without pay additional money! I’m paying for 2GB/month! What do you care, Vodafone, how I use it??

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: SOLVED!
After some time someone found a solution, at least for all users with ROOT:
Here is the solution script
Here is a method to setup the script on boot

Last edited by furius; 13th March 2013 at 09:49 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to furius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th January 2013, 06:01 PM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 355

1,561 posts
I don't know, AT&T doesn't do this for me.

Can you manually change the APN when the hotspot is turned on?
28th January 2013, 06:35 PM   |  #3  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 295

1,331 posts
More
Hm, never had this happen when I tether my N7 to my GNex, and i'm on a prepaid-card (where something like this would be more likely to occur than on a contract).
28th January 2013, 06:44 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 277

1,809 posts
More
Re: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2
I have Verizon and I don't have a tethering plan. I'm on 4.2.1 and I've been able to use the built in tether.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
28th January 2013, 06:55 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

319 posts
More
R: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira02rex

I don't know, AT&T doesn't do this for me.

Can you manually change the APN when the hotspot is turned on?

I can't edit the APN cause I can't see it! After few minutes I'm tethering I get an SMS from Vodafone that says: we remember you that your plan doesn't include data connection using APN web.omnitel.it ... And then if I check my bill detail I can verify a row reporting connection with this APN and additional amount and connection time
:banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
WiredPirate
28th January 2013, 07:45 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirgeExtinction

I have Verizon and I don't have a tethering plan. I'm on 4.2.1 and I've been able to use the built in tether.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Same story for me.
28th January 2013, 08:37 PM   |  #7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 76

464 posts
Donate to Me
More
Install Chrome or Firefox on your PC, download the User Agent Switcher add-on for it. and change your user agent to googlebot or ipad. That's what I do to bypass Tmobile.
28th January 2013, 09:16 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

319 posts
More
R: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkamon842

Install Chrome or Firefox on your PC, download the User Agent Switcher add-on for it. and change your user agent to googlebot or ipad. That's what I do to bypass Tmobile.

I really don't think it's a user agent issue, I get same problem also connecting an Android tablet independently from the browser ...

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk HD
29th January 2013, 02:07 AM   |  #9  
Flag Hanover, PA
Thanks Meter: 34

346 posts
More
I'm on Verizon and running 4.2.1. I tried to tether to a tablet the other day using Open Garden, WiFi Tether for Root, and Barnacle and I kept getting errors on each app and then they'd FC.
29th January 2013, 02:32 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 238

722 posts
Re: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2
I tether my N7 to my g'nex regularly and have no problems from T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tethering block
Previous Thread Next Thread