[Q] adb/fastboot can't find device in bootloader, but they can do it when booted

Search This thread

eddyxdxda

Jul 5, 2014
Dear all,

I have worked on building Android from source code for few weeks. It used to be fine to me with my galaxy nexus, I can connect to my device via adb and fastboot and flash either the factory ROM or ROM built by me into my device. However, when updating the phone into 4.3, I forgot to extract drivers into the built directory and flash the built image into my device. Is surely can't work, and the screen turn off once "Google" is shown, so I would like to reflash it back to other image. However, my laptop can't recognize my Nexus S anymore in the bootloader. I can use "adb shell" once the device is normally booted (even without screen), but once I type "adb reboot bootloader", the connection is lost! Both "adb and fastboot devices" show nothing....

I have searched the forum and stackoverflow all day but can't find helpful information. There are many threads talking about unable to connect devices but 70% of them are driver-related issue and 30% of them, ex: sudo adb, just don't work for me. I think I am not facing the driver issue because I still can use "adb shell" once the device is normally booted (not in bootloader mode). Moreover, I also tried few debrick tools contributed by xda community but with no luck.

I am wondering if there is any way that I can reflash image to my device without accessing it in bootloader mode? (ex: push image in to device via adb shell when device is normally booted?). I am also wondering if there is any way to fix this problem. Any suggestion is very appreciated!: crying:

Thanks
Yu-Chih

ps. the most closed thread I found is called "ADB can discover devices but not fastboot" in stackexchange (I am not allowed to post the link)
but it seems there is no answer in this thread

Last edited:

eddyxdxda

Jul 5, 2014
I'm not a expert, but do you know how is the DD command ?,
I wonder, is you can DD the boot loader into the nexus partition?

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what I should do with dd command? Could I use it to reinstall the drivers into device?

by the way, I found there is a error showing up in the bottom of screen in fastboot mode, "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647", and many closed threads (sorry that I am not allowed to post url because I am new). Some suggests are to reinstall drivers (even thought I don't get if they mean reinstall the usb driver for laptop or for android), but it seems not solved yet.

Yu-Chih

eddyxdxda

Jul 5, 2014
Dear all, I think I have tried all potential solution about "fastboot command read error -2147483647" that I can find at internet......

Here is what solution I have tried:
1. sudo the command of adb and fastboot
2. update drivers
3. update sdk
4. use another cable
5. install other drivers (win7), ex: naked driver
6. Wug's root kit

What I can't try:
1. enable USB debug mode at phone (because I don't have screen of it but only adb shell)
2. remove(uninstall) other software such as PDA net...etc (I don't try this because my system is clean-installed win7/MAC/ubuntu)

I think this problem is kind of common but my situation seems slightly different from others, that I can find the device when my device is normally booted but I can't recognize it when it is rebooted into bootloader (showing "fastboot command read error -2147483647" at bottom). I am starting to believe it either be the problem that I don't activate the USB debugging in my new flashed image (but I can connect it with adb when the device is normalled booted) or the usb driver in my device is broken.

Anyone has any idea.....:crying:

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what I should do with dd command? Could I use it to reinstall the drivers into device?

by the way, I found there is a error showing up in the bottom of screen in fastboot mode, "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647", and many closed threads (sorry that I am not allowed to post url because I am new). Some suggests are to reinstall drivers (even thought I don't get if they mean reinstall the usb driver for laptop or for android), but it seems not solved yet.

Yu-Chih

eddyxdxda

Jul 5, 2014
Dear all,

This is my latest update. I wipe out the whole system of Ubuntu and Win7 and restart everything from the first step. Magically, the new Win7 + Wug's root kit can successfully flash new image into my phone. But also magically, the ubuntu system faces the same issue as I described (no connection in bootloader with the error code but connection is fine after the device is booted). The bright side of this is that I am finally able to try other solutions, e.g., enabling debugging mode, but the sad part is that I still get no luck at Ubuntu and MAC.........can't believe it works at Win7 but not at Ubuntu and MAC.....

Yu-Chih

Dear all, I think I have tried all potential solution about "fastboot command read error -2147483647" that I can find at internet......

Here is what solution I have tried:
1. sudo the command of adb and fastboot
2. update drivers
3. update sdk
4. use another cable
5. install other drivers (win7), ex: naked driver
6. Wug's root kit

What I can't try:
1. enable USB debug mode at phone (because I don't have screen of it but only adb shell)
2. remove(uninstall) other software such as PDA net...etc (I don't try this because my system is clean-installed win7/MAC/ubuntu)

I think this problem is kind of common but my situation seems slightly different from others, that I can find the device when my device is normally booted but I can't recognize it when it is rebooted into bootloader (showing "fastboot command read error -2147483647" at bottom). I am starting to believe it either be the problem that I don't activate the USB debugging in my new flashed image (but I can connect it with adb when the device is normalled booted) or the usb driver in my device is broken.

Anyone has any idea.....:crying: