Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android OS killing battery

Tip us?

thebatsam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Android OS killing battery

Hey everyone

Got a Nexus a couple weeks ago after having iphones for a couple years. Loving it so far.....ICS is very polished.

Initially, my battery life was adequate. However, recently the OS is using 45% battery and the phone gets a very hot when idle (I can feel the heat in my pocket)

I did a factory reset and still the same problems.

Is anyone else coming across these issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2011-12-11-22-38-07.jpg
Views:	8633
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	813316  

Chirality
Old
(Last edited by Chirality; 11th December 2011 at 11:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
An old bug cropping up again?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=57

Can you please install Watchdog (https://market.android.com/details?i...t.watchdoglite) and let us know if it's the suspend process (which shows up in the battery meter as part of "Android OS") burning through the battery?

mnexusaud
Old
Thanks Meter 3
My phone has been on standby for about a day and has 80% battery left. However the battery consumption shows:

42% Android OS
37% Phone Idle
16% Cell Standby

- Also what is the difference between phone idle and cell standby

MY BACKGROUND APPS RUNNING ARE:

- Battery Monitor Widget (I need this on so I can tell what my battery life is easily)
- Google Services (What is this, can I kill it?)
Media (What is this app, can I kill it?)
Music (Again what is this, what happens if I kill it/should I? I never used it.)

dmh11
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I have the same problem. My SGN died after 7 hours without any usage.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using XDA App

Black Mirror
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Yup, me too. This morning, I took my phone off the charger at 98% for an hour and 15 minutes and didn't touch it. The battery had gone down to 88%, with Android OS using 64% and Android System using 14%. The phone was 'awake' for the entire period. I've had my Nexus since Wednesday and I haven't been getting great battery life. I'm hoping there's a fix for this.

VoicesX
Old
(Last edited by VoicesX; 12th December 2011 at 02:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Same problem here... (I testing radio UGKK7, XXKK7 and XXKK1... all with the same problem).

- Lightflow increment "Android OS" battery use.
- By using, Wi-Fi "Android OS" uses less battery.

inspiron41
Old
Thanks Meter 52
try disable wifi when not on and unchecked "use wifi network" for location.

another thing could be some active widgets, i remember this was a problem a while back.

s1977
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Note sure that this has got to do with wifi at all as I reset my phone to factory and I still have the 'Android OS' usage taking 23% of battery. I have no apps nor have I yet linked phone to my Google account.

I have read some comments to do with the Galaxy S2 which too suffered from the same problem. I remember reading something about Samsung driver implementation causing this with the S2. I will update the links when I find something conclusive. Also I have another HTC desire that has the AOSP code compiled rom and that does not suffer from this at all and it is happily sitting idle at almost 2 days with nearly 70% battery still left.

The Following User Says Thank You to s1977 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chirality
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1977 View Post
Note sure that this has got to do with wifi at all as I reset my phone to factory and I still have the 'Android OS' usage taking 23% of battery. I have no apps nor have I yet linked phone to my Google account.

I have read some comments to do with the Galaxy S2 which too suffered from the same problem. I remember reading something about Samsung driver implementation causing this with the S2. I will update the links when I find something conclusive. Also I have another HTC desire that has the AOSP code compiled rom and that does not suffer from this at all and it is happily sitting idle at almost 2 days with nearly 70% battery still left.

Yes, the problem was with the suspend process eating up CPU. You can install Watchdog and set it to watch non-Android processes, and that will be able to tell you which "Android OS" process is actually the one eating up battery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chirality For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ljwnow
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirality View Post
Yes, the problem was with the suspend process eating up CPU. You can install Watchdog and set it to watch non-Android processes, and that will be able to tell you which "Android OS" process is actually the one eating up battery.
Is samsung aware of this problem? We need to file complaints.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium