Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 40,164 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Beginner Help

Tip us?

genheals
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Beginner Help

Hi all,

I have been an iPhone user for a long time and have become frustrated with the methodical cycling of old tech via new OS', so I want to switch over to Android. That beginning said, I want to upgrade my phone to Cyanogenmod 11 (M5 I believe?) but I definitely need some technical help. I am not looking to brick my phone.

I read a few guides on how one goes about upgrading their device but there are still some points I am unsure of. A large area of confusion for me at the moment is this:

-What is the difference between a unlocked bootloader and a rooted device? My understanding is that an unlocked bootloader is more basic, like having access to the "BIOS" in your phone. A rooted device, on the other hand, pertains to the OS, as if one was upgrading between Ubuntu and Windows. I am confused because the article I read states that I can flash a custom ROM in the unlocked bootloader, without rooting. If this is the case, why would anyone want root access?

-Nightly vs. snaphot vs. stable: I understand that these represent levels of stability that increases from nightly to stable. My question is regarding updating. If I install a nightly/snapshot, will I have to flash/wipe/etc every time I want to install an upgrading nightly?

-Lastly, I have had on my eye on this guide for when I upgrade: (REMOVE BRACKETS FROM "COM")

true-android.blogspot.[com]/2013/12/update-verizon-galaxy-nexus-sch-i515-to_17.html

Is that good guide to go by? Does that make any assumptions about upgrading that new user like me would not be aware of?

Thank you for any help.

genheals
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the help boys

Thymo
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by genheals View Post
Thanks for the help boys
Do you still need help? Since you made a post saying thank you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
Phone: I9250 Samsung Galaxy Nexus maguro
Rom: Carbonrom latest nightly
Kernel: Fancy Kernel r53 F2FS

Did i help you? hitting the thanks button would be appreciated.