XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best radio to use with Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile USA

Tip us?

tibere86
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nory82688 View Post
Are you being serious? That statement is completely false and misleading. I see my buddies with his HTC amaze and sgs2 hitting 20mbs and above a lot of the time (I live in Philadelphia, so we're pretty much covered with hspa+ coverage) . To say "no one on T-Mobile is getting 20mbs down with a 42mb device" is just wrong.[end rant]

sent from my Nexus Prime using XDA premium
The fastest speed I have seen with my Nexus in Philadelphia was at 30th Street Station, 9mbs.

thepawn
Old
(Last edited by thepawn; 4th May 2012 at 01:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
This is in my apartment in NJ

Normally I use WiFi at home, turned it off when I ran the tests... I'm on "HSDPA:9" networks at my place, never saw the HSPAP:15 that the other poster mentioned yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1336092145895.jpg
Views:	2108
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1039632

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

waylo
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
Got my GN USA version earlier this week (have had an imported one for a while) with XXLA2, and here in Oregon the ability to keep signal with XXLA2 is awful inside my apartment.

Take a look at all the RED mobile network signal bars in the attachment.

My other GN was on XXKK6 and certainly did not have this much trouble. Just flashed XXKK6 to the new phone to see if it improves.

That having been said, the older GN would sometimes lose signal and be unable to get it back without a reboot. This new one at least refinds the signal, but I think it's affecting the battery life significantly.
I was mistaken. The radio doesn't have much to do with my signal loss, as apparently I'm getting equivalent signal loss every MINUTE with the XXKK6 radio, according to a "no signal" logging app.

I upped my lowest CPU speed to 700mhz, and that's fixed it.

I'm on 4.0.3, but it seems like I'm having the signal issues that were seen with 4.0.4 first came out. Don't think my other GN had this issue.

Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
[ROM] Wicked v5.1
[Recovery] TWRP 2.5.0.2
------------
Galaxy Nexus GSM
[ROM] XenonHD vXVIII
[Build] JZO54K 4.1.2
[Kernel] Leankernel 4.7exp2-180/interactive/deadline
[Recovery] TWRP 2.3.3.0
[Radio] I9250XXLF1
[Bootloader] PRIMELC03
------------
HP Touchpad 32gb
[ROM] Jcsullins 7/14/13 build with battery fix

phi303
Old
Thanks Meter 9
anyone know which radio is best since the release of jellybean? i'm on 4.1.1 XXLF1 and i seem to be having some issues with GPS
T-Mobile Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505G) - KOT49H 4.4.2 Danvdh
Galaxy Nexus GSM -SOLD
Nexus S NexusBeam - v4.1.0 -SOLD
Nook Color NookieComb (1100) -SOLD

nullbesign
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by phi303 View Post
anyone know which radio is best since the release of jellybean? i'm on 4.1.1 XXLF1 and i seem to be having some issues with GPS
XXLF1 is prefect in NYC
I WILL SUPPORT NEW DEVELOPERS - LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A SITE OR SPACE TO HOST YOUR FILES.. NO ADS WHAT SO EVER.

andriodee
Old
Thanks Meter 38
The thing with getting the GSM variant of the GNex and using it with T-Mobile is you don't get full access to T-Mobile's towers. It's because the phone isn't a "T-Mobile phone". You will still be able to get 4G, but in areas where T-Mobile phones get full speeds and bars, you'll be lacking. In my area, for instance, in Savannah, GA, T-Mobile offers great speeds all over for both LTE and 4G, but I'm only getting one or two bars (at most) when I'm home, or worse Edge. It's a little saddening, especially when my friends that have T-Mobile come over with their phones and get five bars with blazing speeds. 😒😞😣

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Culex316
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriodee View Post
The thing with getting the GSM variant of the GNex and using it with T-Mobile is you don't get full access to T-Mobile's towers. It's because the phone isn't a "T-Mobile phone". You will still be able to get 4G, but in areas where T-Mobile phones get full speeds and bars, you'll be lacking. In my area, for instance, in Savannah, GA, T-Mobile offers great speeds all over for both LTE and 4G, but I'm only getting one or two bars (at most) when I'm home, or worse Edge. It's a little saddening, especially when my friends that have T-Mobile come over with their phones and get five bars with blazing speeds. 😒😞😣

Huh? What are you talking about not getting "full access to T-Mobile's towers"? Are you talking about the Galaxy Nexus's lack of DC-HSPA+ that lets it reach 20-30mbps on HSPA+ networks? If so, then yes, it's because mainly T-Mobile phones feature this but it's due to a technical limitation.

andriodee
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
Huh? What are you talking about not getting "full access to T-Mobile's towers"? Are you talking about the Galaxy Nexus's lack of DC-HSPA+ that lets it reach 20-30mbps on HSPA+ networks? If so, then yes, it's because mainly T-Mobile phones feature this but it's due to a technical limitation.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Aside from not being able to attain full speeds, like T-Mobile-branded devices, we're not really getting the best signal strength either. Again, as I've stated earlier, I live in an area that generally has overwhelmingly great coverage for T-Mobile, yet I'm only getting 1-2 bars of service, if that. I'm usually on Edge. On the contrary, my friends come over and they have all their bars. It sucks because I pay $70/month for unlimited 4G that I'm just unable to make use of. 😞

Culex316
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriodee View Post
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Aside from not being able to attain full speeds, like T-Mobile-branded devices, we're not really getting the best signal strength either. Again, as I've stated earlier, I live in an area that generally has overwhelmingly great coverage for T-Mobile, yet I'm only getting 1-2 bars of service, if that. I'm usually on Edge. On the contrary, my friends come over and they have all their bars. It sucks because I pay $70/month for unlimited 4G that I'm just unable to make use of. 😞

If you can't get a good signal, try flashing another radio, there are a lot of radios available for flashing to your Galaxy Nexus.

If not, get another phone.

andriodee
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
If you can't get a good signal, try flashing another radio, there are a lot of radios available for flashing to your Galaxy Nexus.

If not, get another phone.
I've tried quite a few radios. I'm running 4.3.1, too. I will certainly be getting a new phone, though. I'm -- like millions of other Nexus fans -- anxiously awaiting the arrival of both KitKat and the Nexus 5. 😄 I'll probably use this phone to hone in on my developer skills. It'll be a great test phone.

Tags
flashing, galaxy nexus, radio, t-mobile