Will not boot into Download/Recovery

Tip us?

DWake014
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Exclamation Will not boot into Download/Recovery

Hey,

I was installing the latest version of Paranoid Android on my wife's phone, with the latest TWRP recovery and something seems to have gone wrong. I wiped the system and caches since her phone was on CarbonRom, and then installed PA along with their gapps. I then had the phone boot on, let the phone stay on the bootscreen (they suggest up to 5 mins), but after almost 7 mins, nothing. After some searching I've tried booting into Recovery and since that had not been working (just boots to system, which is the endless bootscreen) I tried getting it to enter download mode so I can put it back to stock, no luck, same bootloop issue. Kinda getting worried it could be bricked, any help is very much appreciated.
MoPho

A30N
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit to download a factory image and start over fresh.

DWake014
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
How am I supposed to use this program if my phone is stuck in a bootloop and I can not access Recovery or Download mode?
MoPho

A30N
Old
Thanks Meter 37
The only other option is to order or make a USB-jig to force it into fastboot mode, which will then allow you to use the Toolkit. If that doesn't work, then the bootloader is damaged, and you will have to exchange the phone.

ti-pich
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I don't think bootloader get flashed when using cwm or twrp. Just try to pull the battery, put it back in and then hold vol+ vol- and power to get in fastboot. Once in fastboot just flash everything you need. If you need help with fastboot just check for the thread in general section about returning to stock.
Google Nexus 5 running CM 11
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 running CM 11
Lenovo IdeaPad K1 running CM 10 - Almost retired

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks."
The Following User Says Thank You to ti-pich For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bodh
Old
Thanks Meter 81
If you can get to fastboot, try scrolling to recovery, and then factory reset, and see if it boots.

DWake014
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
I believe I got it into download mode last night after many attempts at every battery and button combo I could try. Unfortunately I hit start too soon and it just booted to system, I believe I will have to make a jig and go from there, if there wasn't such a big issue with just getting into the bootloader or download mode I would have been done a long time ago.
MoPho

beekay201
Old
(Last edited by beekay201; 25th February 2013 at 06:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1096
Default Re: Will not boot into Download/Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWake014 View Post
I believe I got it into download mode last night after many attempts at every battery and button combo I could try. Unfortunately I hit start too soon and it just booted to system, I believe I will have to make a jig and go from there, if there wasn't such a big issue with just getting into the bootloader or download mode I would have been done a long time ago.
EDIT: culprits:
a) when switching ROMs, you didn't wipe data/factory reset.
b) when you're in FASTBOOT mode, you use the volume keys to go up and down, through the several options, until you see RECOVERY mode; THEN, you press POWER to boot up, INTO recovery mode, which will allow, obviously, to factory reset (mind that if you formatted /system again, you will need to reflash the ROM).

Note: you should still read the guide I linked below.

Pull the battery out again, wait a minute, Hold VOLUME UP+VOLUME DOWN+POWER and you'll be in FASTBOOT, not DOWNLOAD mode. Then PLEASE, go follow efrant's guide that's stickied on General section, and stop messing around with toolkits. Here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1626895

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
hammerhead/Omni-KOT49H/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-1.0.25.0.23
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/stock-KRT16S/custom#3.4.39
tf201/cm10-NIGHTLY#20120820/stock#2.6.39.4
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)

beekay201
Old
Thanks Meter 1096
Default Re: Will not boot into Download/Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyomarga View Post
The only other option is to order or make a USB-jig to force it into fastboot mode
Please, everybody, read his post!! He can get into fastboot mode!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
hammerhead/Omni-KOT49H/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-1.0.25.0.23
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/stock-KRT16S/custom#3.4.39
tf201/cm10-NIGHTLY#20120820/stock#2.6.39.4
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)
m.kochan10 Old
Thanks Meter
People what are you talking about? USB jig will never bring you to fastboot mode! It's always download (odin) mode.
If you can boot into fastboot I would recommend you to at least re-flash recovery.