Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,273 Members 44,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] a BRAND NEW kind of charging problem

Tip us?

-Psycho-
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Plug [Q] a BRAND NEW kind of charging problem

Before everyone starts accusing me of not running a simple search, take it easy, been done. And yet, nothing to help me on the matter.

So here's the thing:

Her phone won't charge. Not when plugged into the wall, BUT when I plug her phone into the computer it is recognized and allows file transfer and everything, but just that - it still won't charge.

Here's what I've found out so far:

- Not a problem with the charger: I'm using the original charger, and it works flawlessly on my own Gnex running PA 4.4
- Nothing wrong with the battery: swap batteries between phones, my phone works fine with her battery, her phone still won't charge.
- When her phone is completely OFF and I plug it in to my PC, it plays the sound of connecting and disconnecting a device, and prompts that it doesn't recognize the USB device. If I tap the power button for a second while it's off (not holding it long enough for it to turn on), it does the same thing connecting-then-disconnecting sounds and "doesn't recognize the USB device".

So - has anyone ever run into this problem before? Know how to fix it? I know the chances are it's just a hardware malfunction, but it's weird because of the ability to transfer files- usually the problem is the reverse.

In the meantime we're using my phone as a charger for both batteries untill we get the spares and wall charger we ordered, but it's a real pain.
Just trying to find a better solution than taking apart the phone and try and fix it or just ordering a new Nexus 5 (which is tempting, but don't really have the money to spend on it...)

DR3W5K1
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Psycho- View Post
Before everyone starts accusing me of not running a simple search, take it easy, been done. And yet, nothing to help me on the matter.

So here's the thing:

Her phone won't charge. Not when plugged into the wall, BUT when I plug her phone into the computer it is recognized and allows file transfer and everything, but just that - it still won't charge.

Here's what I've found out so far:

- Not a problem with the charger: I'm using the original charger, and it works flawlessly on my own Gnex running PA 4.4
- Nothing wrong with the battery: swap batteries between phones, my phone works fine with her battery, her phone still won't charge.
- When her phone is completely OFF and I plug it in to my PC, it plays the sound of connecting and disconnecting a device, and prompts that it doesn't recognize the USB device. If I tap the power button for a second while it's off (not holding it long enough for it to turn on), it does the same thing connecting-then-disconnecting sounds and "doesn't recognize the USB device".

So - has anyone ever run into this problem before? Know how to fix it? I know the chances are it's just a hardware malfunction, but it's weird because of the ability to transfer files- usually the problem is the reverse.

In the meantime we're using my phone as a charger for both batteries untill we get the spares and wall charger we ordered, but it's a real pain.
Just trying to find a better solution than taking apart the phone and try and fix it or just ordering a new Nexus 5 (which is tempting, but don't really have the money to spend on it...)
Its the micro USB port the pins are bent homie.

Some pins allow charging some allow data transfer. The ones for charging are damaged in your case.

Sorry to bring bad news.
The Following User Says Thank You to DR3W5K1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-Psycho-
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3W5K1 View Post

Some pins allow charging some allow data transfer. The ones for charging are damaged in your case.

Sorry to bring bad news.
Yup. Just this moment after a really really really close examination of the port and comparing it to my own phone, one tiny half a millimeter peice of metal is bent out of place and broken. Gotta order a new port ASAP and try and change it.

Thanks mate!

But hey, look at the bright side... a fun home project to immerse myself in instead of prepare for my finals!

-Psycho-
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3W5K1 View Post

Sorry to bring bad news.
Back with worse news. Just replaced my wife's micro USB port on her i9250 GNex, and.... same thing. Still won't charge, computer recognizes it. Now I'm completely baffled. Thought for a moment that maybe I had been such a fool as to have put back in the old port, but unfortunately, it wasn't my stupidity.

Ideas, anyone?