21st May 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 354

245 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi,
I was just wondering whether you think it is worth buying a Galaxy Nexus in 2014. There is a huge price gap between the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4/5 over here in Australia. $190 AUD for a Galaxy Nexus, compared to $400/450 for a Nexus 5. I would flash a rom on the Galaxy Nexus anyway, such as CM or Paranoid Android.

It would be great to hear your thoughts,
Thanks,
Joe
21st May 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

245 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotleez

Hi,
I was just wondering whether you think it is worth buying a Galaxy Nexus in 2014. There is a huge price gap between the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4/5 over here in Australia. $190 AUD for a Galaxy Nexus, compared to $400/450 for a Nexus 5. I would flash a rom on the Galaxy Nexus anyway, such as CM or Paranoid Android.

Thanks,
Joe

Any thoughts?
21st May 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag Granite Falls, NC
Thanks Meter: 37

216 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Any thoughts?

hear are my thoughts, and this is coming from a unique perspective...

i owned one on verizon when it first came out, loved the phone, then got fed up with verizon and dumped my contract (paid my etf i was so mad)

switched to ting and rocked a epic 4g touch for over a year. then it broke, power button failure.

so now feb. 2014 i found a good deal on a lightly used sprint gnex on ebay and bought it, love the phone still. i'm on cm11 m6 without any 4g/3g issues running the ting apn's.

now with the back story out. are you a power phone user? are you always looking at the next thing? i've stopped when i quit verizon. i use my phone for some pandora, some facebook uploads, and a game (like kingdom rush) every once and a while. with the factory extended battery, it will last me a full day (12-16 hours) but i'm also near plug in's all the time. if you are just wanting a good functional phone that can still do all the modern things with android for a cheap price, its hard to go wrong.
21st May 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #4  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 3

55 posts
More
I bought mine in October 2013 (used) and am still very happy with it, the only real annoyance is that 1GB RAM doesn't cut it when many apps are installed, I get Launcher restarts on both 4.3 and CM11...however, CM11 gave me so many of Kitkat's features that it felt like a new phone.

So, go for it!
21st May 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #5  
Flag Vlaardingen
Thanks Meter: 298

1,027 posts
More
If you want to play gpu intensive games this phone is not for you (it has the same gpu as the galaxy s, go figure). However if you just use it for browsing, social media and that sort of stuff then it will serve you well. When you flash a rom and a kernel and tweak it a bit, it becomes perfect imo. Its not a very powerful phone by todays standards but better than the majority of cheap phones today (similair to a moto g).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
21st May 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks,
Joe

GNex is a good phone but today with some years on its shoulders, cpu is dual core only can lag with some heavy apps (maps, tomtom, and similar).
Check the price of Moto G, it's the best buy today here in EU.
22nd May 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

245 posts
Donate to Me
More
Swaying towards buying one, does anyone know how well the different colour variants (White or Grey) stand up to scratches, dings etc. I would imagine them to be far more visible on the white edition
16th July 2014, 10:51 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

245 posts
Donate to Me
More
EDIT: Went and bought a Moto G two moths ago....
Great phone, as good as I am sure a GNex would have been
19th July 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 12

55 posts
I think you made a good choice, Moto G is no worse performance-wise, same screen size plus it has amazing battery life compared to the GNex.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread