Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 49,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Camera and Gallery Stopped, Unfortunately

Tip us?

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Camera and Gallery Stopped, Unfortunately

I've read about a million of these threads and researched elsewhere, but am coming back to the experts here.

The issue is that the camera won't work. It says, "unfortunately, gallery has stopped." We did clearing data. We did factory resets. I replaced both front and back cameras. I flashed the factory image.

After flashing the factory image, the phone boots up with "unfortunately gallery has stopped." I tried installing an old MIUI camera that supposedly only uses the back camera. It stops. Barcode Scanner stops. Trying to start a front facing hangouts session....stops. Downloaded some selfie camera app...stops.

Going to take it apart again and check connections. Any other ideas? Maybe the replacement parts from ifixit.com were bad? Or something else...

Thanks.

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Ohh...

Previously it wouldn't charge. Changed the battery with an after market (non NFC) and USB FLEX cable. That all works good now...

h4xx0rr
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Boot into recovery and wipe system, cache, data, internal, dalvik cache...and then flash factory image. You maybe didn't wiped all before flashing factory img..

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Thanks...will gibe it a try. While I was at it, I also saw that recovery had repair option for some partitions.

Flashing now...

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
"Unfortunately Gallery has stopped...." right after the setup wizard started.

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24

Both old cameras (top) and new (bottom) look good.

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24

Contacts look good...buy will clean anyway.

A little corrosive damage on the chip cover.

Right next to the back camera contact is a gold surface with some black dots. Are the dots normal, or has something been worn away?

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24

Now were getting somewhere!

Those black spots were some kind of mold/corrosion. Cleaned contacts and installed the old cameras and factory reset.

The camera actually opens now...but to a blackish/greyish screen. Different message now that gallery isn't responding.

Gonna wipe all, flash all...and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, install the new cameras.

akenis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
...cameras work the same since putting the new ones back in. It opens, but locks up with a black/grey screen. Was going to flash all.bat, but the usb is no dorked. It will charge, but it's not recognized by PC. Took apart and checked again. Same problem.

Maybe I messed something up with a bit of rubbing alcohol trying to clean things up?

mugzylol
Old
Thanks Meter 8
This has nothing to do with your camera. Its just the factory image you flashed. Try flashing another image.

sent from my nex7

Tags
camera, gallery