Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will current Verizon galaxy nexus ROMS work on Sprint galaxy nexus?

Tip us?

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 480
They would have the same CDMA bands but different LTE bands. In principle the ROMs *should* be compatible because LTE is the same technology on either band, all other things being equal (and they never are). And judging by the posts on the topic, they aren't.

It could be that there is a different antenna design as the LTE frequencies are quite unlike each other.

I wonder if a Verizon LTE SIM in a Sprint GNex or vice-versa would still be able to access the respective CDMA networks, assuming the slot is unlocked/unlockable? I know the CDMA subscriber identity is stored on the SIM for LTE devices, but again the software could be designed to avert that.

umerien
Old
Thanks Meter 0
From what I read on another forum that just rooting nexus with I believe fastbootloader people are unable to send text messages and in other cases are unable to register for Google wallet...so I don't know I rather not Verizon method just now and wait till some legit sprint drivers come out...also I am a noob about all this

sent from my sprint gnex using xda

farmer312
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I don't have any knowledge. Just noticing that some other people don't have the knowledge that they think they have that's all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

adrynalyne
Old
(Last edited by adrynalyne; 22nd April 2012 at 07:18 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer312 View Post
I don't have any knowledge. Just noticing that some other people don't have the knowledge that they think they have that's all.

What an oxymoron.

"I don't have any knowledge"

"Just noticing that some other people don't have the knowledge that they think they have that's all."

You have no clue on why the roms do not work, and yet you have enough clue to know what others are saying is wrong?

You are talking out of place. For starters, a lot of what was said in this thread was before anyone had a device to test. It was THEORIZED.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
They would have the same CDMA bands but different LTE bands. In principle the ROMs *should* be compatible because LTE is the same technology on either band, all other things being equal (and they never are). And judging by the posts on the topic, they aren't.

It could be that there is a different antenna design as the LTE frequencies are quite unlike each other.

I wonder if a Verizon LTE SIM in a Sprint GNex or vice-versa would still be able to access the respective CDMA networks, assuming the slot is unlocked/unlockable? I know the CDMA subscriber identity is stored on the SIM for LTE devices, but again the software could be designed to avert that.
The Sprint Nexus has an embedded sim. There shall be no swapping of sims

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie26 View Post
Yet. They don't roam yet. It wouldn't shock me to see Sprint work some kind of agreement with Verizon to get LTE roaming.
Can't roam if the frequencies are different. Sprint does not use the 700mhz band for LTE I don't think.

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
The Sprint Nexus has an embedded sim. There shall be no swapping of sims
Oh interesting. That took some serious chutzpah.

I guess they aren't subject to the same open access requirements as Verizon.

farmer312
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Sorry adrynalyne I wasn't trying to be an ass. And the reason for the oxymoron was to say I'm not going to pretend to know something that I don't. A lot of theories didn't start with "I believe" or "I think". I could care less one way or another if the roms worked out or not, eventually you guys will be putting out some kick ass **** for me to get my grimy little hands on.

mick3444
Old
Thanks Meter 32
so has anybody found a way to modify a verizon rom to work with a sprint galaxy nexus easilly? It seems as if it would be fairly simple, but maybe not? Would flashing a verizon rom and replacing the radios with sprint phones make it work?
Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Rom: Viper4G 3.0.0

Past Devices: -lg optimus s-samsung transform-kyocera echo-asus transformer (wifi)-Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch-Transformer Prime-Galaxy Nexus

Treat others how you want to be
treated!!!

msedek
Old
(Last edited by msedek; 13th May 2012 at 03:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3444 View Post
so has anybody found a way to modify a verizon rom to work with a sprint galaxy nexus easilly? It seems as if it would be fairly simple, but maybe not? Would flashing a verizon rom and replacing the radios with sprint phones make it work?
ROMs doesn't touch baseband, unlike official Google image, so in theory, you could flash any rom out there, cdma based.. No matters what the carrier is..

But I guess only sprint users can tell us?.. They just need to do a Nandroid and then try what ever...

If nothing works.. Just restore your Nandroid and thats it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium