XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New CWM Causes Trouble

Tip us?

ammyt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default New CWM Causes Trouble

So off I went to install a new CM nightly, just as always, wiping my phone full clean and getting these zips installed.

Or so I thought.

CWM 6.0.4 for some vaguely incomprehensible (dumb) reason exposes the /factory/ partition to be formatted under Mounts and Storage. Do the developers understand how dangerous it is? For people like me who are freaked out by dirty installs and who just wipe out the device before installing a new ROM the consequences are terrible. And with no previous warning whatsoever, with no proceed warnings in CWM, this is really an eat-crap-after-you-fail fail.

But of course, one can't blame the developers, can they?

Well then AT LEAST why aren't we allowed to discuss possible ways of restoring our god-darned IMEIs then? Now I'm rendered with a micro tablet that cannot register on any network because of DEVELOPER and DOCUMENTATION ERRORS. And I just happen to be a Python developer so I know when the errors are by which party. There isn't any phone repair shop within my area that is able to restore the IMEI using an SPTBox so to fix this it all relies on my, and other victims', expertise. If keeping a backup of nv-data.bin was mentioned anywhere before I went into this case then I would've gladly backed up the file, but you only get to know that after you lose your IMEI. And just spending $300 on a box to fix my phone is ridiculous, isn't it?

</rant>
Current Weapons:
Maguro: CM10.2|Leankernel|1.35GHz R.I.P.
Galaxy Note 8.0: Stock|Deodexed & Rooted|EMk

Phone history:
Nokia N97 -> Rover N900 -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Maguro
Wishlist: Galaxy Premier

Tablet history:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 -> Galaxy Note 10.1 -> Nexus 10 -> Galaxy Note 8.0

mrgnex
Old
Thanks Meter 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
So off I went to install a new CM nightly, just as always, wiping my phone full clean and getting these zips installed.

Or so I thought.

CWM 6.0.4 for some vaguely incomprehensible (dumb) reason exposes the /factory/ partition to be formatted under Mounts and Storage. Do the developers understand how dangerous it is? For people like me who are freaked out by dirty installs and who just wipe out the device before installing a new ROM the consequences are terrible. And with no previous warning whatsoever, with no proceed warnings in CWM, this is really an eat-crap-after-you-fail fail.

But of course, one can't blame the developers, can they?

Well then AT LEAST why aren't we allowed to discuss possible ways of restoring our god-darned IMEIs then? Now I'm rendered with a micro tablet that cannot register on any network because of DEVELOPER and DOCUMENTATION ERRORS. And I just happen to be a Python developer so I know when the errors are by which party. There isn't any phone repair shop within my area that is able to restore the IMEI using an SPTBox so to fix this it all relies on my, and other victims', expertise. If keeping a backup of nv-data.bin was mentioned anywhere before I went into this case then I would've gladly backed up the file, but you only get to know that after you lose your IMEI. And just spending $300 on a box to fix my phone is ridiculous, isn't it?

</rant>
Try this: https://www.google.nl/search?q=resto...spv=1&ie=UTF-8

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
SΛMSUNG/Google Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: A.S.K.P. Patty Remix

SΛMSUNG/Google Nexus 10
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: Stock Vanir

ammyt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex View Post
Try this: https://www.google.nl/search?q=resto...spv=1&ie=UTF-8

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
I wouldn't have posted this before I have gone through extensive research.
All the methods described o require some form of backup which I have never read about or known of, or via SPTBox which is very costly, it's different with our nexuses because of the way it stores the nv data file, no imei rewrite program works.
Current Weapons:

Phone history:

Tablet history:

bat0nas
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Welcome to the club. I'm in the same boat.

I have a CWM nandroid backup which was made half a year ago. I will try a full restore. Not sure if CWM backs up /factory folder. If I will be able to restore /factory maybe this guide will help http://blog.falcondai.com/2013/10/fi...ei-number.html
bat0nas

My rig: Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM

merid14
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That sucks man. I hope everything works out for you. This is just another example of why documentation is super important.

bat0nas
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Seems that my cwm copy is corrupt and I am missing one tar.b archive
bat0nas

ammyt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I just searched everywhere but our Gnex is so damn stubborn when it comes to fiddling with the IMEI.
I ended up going to a 3rd party repair shop in our area, got my old IMEI written back again for a well not so cheap price, I'm just glad it's alive again.
Current Weapons:

Phone history:

Tablet history:

bat0nas
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
I just searched everywhere but our Gnex is so damn stubborn when it comes to fiddling with the IMEI.
I ended up going to a 3rd party repair shop in our area, got my old IMEI written back again for a well not so cheap price, I'm just glad it's alive again.
Mine got fixed as well. In my case - warranty covered the fix.
bat0nas

Tags
cwm, error, imei, nv-data