5,599,977 Members 45,088 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Damaged touchscreen - can the rest be salvaged?

Tip us?

vladk2k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Damaged touchscreen - can the rest be salvaged?

Hi everyone.

After a sudden heavy rain, I got some water in my Gnex. I tried the old bag of rice trick, only to find out the USB port was not functioning any more, neither for PC connectivity, nor for charging.
Following the advice of a person I no longer consider my friend, I tried spraying some Isoprpyl Alcohol in the USB port. It did get it to work correctly, but it damaged the digitizer, meaning I get random touches on the lower part of the screen (where the Back, Home and Recent apps buttons are).

I took the phone to a service centre where they tried to clean it, but the issue remains. I'll go there today with my wife's phone to see if it's indeed a touchscreen issue or a motherboard issue. I'm not sure if I want to invest in a new screen (over $100 + maybe a new back cover since the current one has quite a few scratches and cracks) and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to a Nexus 5 or Xperia Z (the latter being waterproof).

The question now would be, could I do something with the hardware? Like, root it, connect it to my wifi and use it as a web server, or connect it to my TV through an MHL adapter and get a "smart TV". Can I get it to ignore touches on the screen completely, and only accept an OTG/bluetooth mouse input?

Any idea is welcome

panosx
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladk2k View Post
Hi everyone.

After a sudden heavy rain, I got some water in my Gnex. I tried the old bag of rice trick, only to find out the USB port was not functioning any more, neither for PC connectivity, nor for charging.
Following the advice of a person I no longer consider my friend, I tried spraying some Isoprpyl Alcohol in the USB port. It did get it to work correctly, but it damaged the digitizer, meaning I get random touches on the lower part of the screen (where the Back, Home and Recent apps buttons are).

I took the phone to a service centre where they tried to clean it, but the issue remains. I'll go there today with my wife's phone to see if it's indeed a touchscreen issue or a motherboard issue. I'm not sure if I want to invest in a new screen (over $100 + maybe a new back cover since the current one has quite a few scratches and cracks) and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to a Nexus 5 or Xperia Z (the latter being waterproof).

The question now would be, could I do something with the hardware? Like, root it, connect it to my wifi and use it as a web server, or connect it to my TV through an MHL adapter and get a "smart TV". Can I get it to ignore touches on the screen completely, and only accept an OTG/bluetooth mouse input?

Any idea is welcome
One day I got caught in a storm having my Gnex in my pocket. Vacuum and rice tricks didn't work completely, as the phone was working properly besides recognizing the sim card (Mboard issue). What I did was buy a broken screen nexus off of Ebay, and exchanged the screens.
Now I have a fully working mobile phone, plus an MHL connected - XBMC enabled smart TV box, connected with bluetooth mouse/keyboard.

Question: Why would you need to ignore touches on the screen?

vladk2k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
As I said, after spraying the USB port with isopropyl alcohol, it appears to have touches all over the bottom part of the screen, as if someone was constantly keeping 3-4 finger and touching away at the soft buttons. Cleaning the phone in a service centre did not help.

panosx
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladk2k View Post
As I said, after spraying the USB port with isopropyl alcohol, it appears to have touches all over the bottom part of the screen, as if someone was constantly keeping 3-4 finger and touching away at the soft buttons. Cleaning the phone in a service centre did not help.
Sorry, I missed that info. Try searching for 'touch blocker' in Google Play. Don't know if that would work on a Gnex though.
Another (hardcore) idea would be to disconnect the screen altogether.