Can You Develop 4G LTE Only Option On Sprint Nexus?

Search This thread

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
I am posting here because it seams no one knows why some phones have LTE only options and some do not.

I was wondering if someone can develop this feature somehow if the user is rooted and has there MSL code that doesn't have the LTE only option by Default.

Is this possible via development and if not why?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App

chasew83

Nov 13, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
I am posting here because it seams no one knows why some phones have LTE only options and some do not.

I was wondering if someone can develop this feature somehow if the user is rooted and has there MSL code that doesn't have the LTE only option by Default.

Is this possible via development and if not why?

The only problem with going to LTE only is, on Sprint, LTE only supports data service. So if you went to LTE only you would lose voice service.

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
I want to lose my voice services. I just want to use my phone as a Data access point.

So do you know if someone can develop this feature?

chasew83

Nov 13, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
I want to lose my voice services. I just want to use my phone as a Data access point.

So do you know if someone can develop this feature?

ah ok, wasnt really clear in your explanation. any of the custom roms i have used i don't ever remember seeing lte only. sorry man wish i could help a little better.

xyience

Oct 23, 2011
It's possible to have LTE only, yet not many people can develop radios that shut out normal service. Good idea
Though!
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
Ya what if some one developed a ROM feature to where you can at least disable 3G so the phone could only connect to LTE. This could bypass the possible hardware limitations.

namtombout

Oct 27, 2012
South, TX
Probably won't work but use efrants return to stock guide and instead of flashing both radios try flashing the LTE radio only and see what that gets you

Bloods thicker than water

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
I wonder why this is not more popular and why more people are not working on this possibility.

A30N

Mar 26, 2011
Florida
Razer Phone 2
OnePlus 8
Search in the Play Store for "Network" by Philipp Mangelow. It is actually a shortcut to the phone's built in diagnostics mode. It doesn't work for stock or ROMs with stock kernels, but I have used it to put the phone into LTE-only mode for testing. You will see both GSM and CDMA settings, regardless of which one your phone is. Try them all, sometimes the setting is mislabeled (its a bug with the ROM, not the app).

So in short, even if your ROM doesn't support LTE-only, you have a good chance of this feature with this app.

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
@AN30

Man App looks awesome! Your right there is no LTE only option but there is one that is even labeled unknown! lol! I'll try them all and get back to you. Thank you so much for your help I have had such a hard time with this! I really appreciate it.

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
@AN30

Okay there was nine options under preferred network tab and all of them did not force LTE. I do not know if I have to reboot or not but if you know anything else that would be great or have any other ideas.

Also there was something about ims registration but I do not know anything about that.

A30N

Mar 26, 2011
Florida
Razer Phone 2
OnePlus 8
@AN30

Okay there was nine options under preferred network tab and all of them did not force LTE. I do not know if I have to reboot or not but if you know anything else that would be great or have any other ideas.

Also there was something about ims registration but I do not know anything about that.

The LTE option only appears on certain ROMs. I forgot which ones, and I can't check right now because I flashed back to stock so I can take my phone to Sprint for repairs (overheating). Try Eclipse, Maddoggin, Carbon, Rasbean, or Jellybro. One of those will have an LTE option I'm sure. What I do is set the LTE option, then below I turn off the radio, and then turn it back on. Oh and sometimes the 4G icon doesn't appear, depending on the ROM, but if you do a speedtest you'll obviously see you're connected to LTE.

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
Okay I have tried all of them by turning off the radio and turning them back on. Also did not pay attention to names. It still did not work so I guess I will have to try one of those Roms.

Do you know if I can install one of those ROMs with the sprint nexus toolkit? And which ROM would you suggests first.

Also im afraid it might be a hardware issue do you think that is possible? Maybe I got one of the first Sprint 4G LTE Nexuses that you can't split the LTE signal.

Last edited:

A30N

Mar 26, 2011
Florida
Razer Phone 2
OnePlus 8
It takes about the same time to answer a question than to b*tch about it... :rolleyes:

ANSWER: Download and flash Eclipse 2.1 ROM (Android 4.1.2) :good:

It has the LTE ONLY option you want. It also has a fantastic array of options and tweaks, and 2-4 times the battery life of a 4.2 ROM or Stock OTA. :highfive:

If the LTE ONLY option doesn't work on the the first try, use the Network app posted above to turn off the radio and back on again. :victory:

Reactions: needspractice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It takes about the same time to answer a question than to b*tch about it... :rolleyes:

ANSWER: Download and flash Eclipse 2.1 ROM (Android 4.1.2) :good:

It has the LTE ONLY option you want. It also has a fantastic array of options and tweaks, and 2-4 times the battery life of a 4.2 ROM or Stock OTA. :highfive:

If the LTE ONLY option doesn't work on the the first try, use the Network app posted above to turn off the radio and back on again. :victory:
    OH SNAP! IT FINALLY WORKED! BOO YAA! YOU ARE THE BEST AN30! THANKS SO MUCH FOR NOT GIVING UP ON ME!

Steps!

1. Use GNEX Toolkit And Do Complete ROOT
    2. GET MSL Code From Phone Using VIPER
    3. Flash Eclispe 2.1 ROM
    4. Enjoy 4G LTE Only with tons of features!

Best,
    needspractice