5,598,980 Members 31,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Disabling OTA updates

Tip us?
sumthin2die4 Old
Thanks Meter
Default [Q] Disabling OTA updates

Did my research and found to rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak or to install fotakill.apk in system/app folder. I am rooted using ES File explorer with root access and is not allowing of either of these...
sumthin2die4 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumthin2die4 View Post
Did my research and found to rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak or to install fotakill.apk in system/app folder. I am rooted using ES File explorer with root access and is not allowing of either of these...
For anyone that comes across this. ES File Explorer, Tools, Root Explorer, Mount R/W and select directory to give read/write access.

Although I renamed it, the update still shows after reboot..

LgGsm45
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I was able to rename same file on rooted Samsung device and saw that this effectively disabled OTA Update messages on device. However, I have a question: Are there any Phone Manufacturers that may force an OTA on device and if so, will this method still work to avoid the undesired OTA update? Thanks in advance.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1459
Quote:
For anyone that comes across this. ES File Explorer, Tools, Root Explorer, Mount R/W and select directory to give read/write access.

Although I renamed it, the update still shows after reboot..
Also rename sdm1.0 in /system/app and delete the ota file located in /cache/fota directory.
Tags
ota