Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,667 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Encryption and CWM/ Custom ROM?

Tip us?

Rules.r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Encryption and CWM/ Custom ROM?

Good evening (subjectively) all.

I've just recently encrypted an HD 2.* ROM on my Nexus. After encrypting the device today, it appears I have no access to the SDCard in CWR.

Can anyone give me any advice? How do I unencrypt (if I must) or fix the situation ?

wanderfowl
Old
Thanks Meter 33
My impression is that right now, you can either encrypt the device and keep it stock, or stay unencrypted if you want to mod the device/enjoy CWM. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am!), but I've just heard that encryption causes too much pain to be worthwhile if you want to do anything non-stock.

jd1001
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules.r View Post
Good evening (subjectively) all.

I've just recently encrypted an HD 2.* ROM on my Nexus. After encrypting the device today, it appears I have no access to the SDCard in CWR.

Can anyone give me any advice? How do I unencrypt (if I must) or fix the situation ?
I had this problem! CWM can't see the sd card as it is encrypted. You need to do a full factory reset to remove the encryption. Google does't allow the option to decrypt yet.

Unfortunetly when you do a factory reset it wont work as it is looking for the stock bootloader to complete the wipe and it won't be able to use your existing bootloader. World of hurt!

The only way I got around this was to adb/fastboot the original stock rom. This caused me so much pain! Even then I had to do it once or twice before it fully worked.

Let me know how you get on.
My Droids
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Liquidsmooth v3.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Stock

If my comment helped give me some thanks!