5,600,919 Members 42,744 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fastboot Error 2147483647: possible bug??

Tip us?

robbetto
Old
(Last edited by robbetto; 31st January 2013 at 02:18 PM.) Reason: more news...
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Fastboot Error 2147483647: possible bug??

Hi to all

I'm trying to flash an aosp self-compiled rom but i've got a problem with fastboot. I'm using an ubuntu machine [12.04] and the fastboot version that came with the ADT IDE.

Even if I'm able to use adb and all of its functions, when i try to use fastboot (e.g. fastboot devices) it do not show me any results.
I've tryed different version of fastboot on different ubuntu machine and different usb port with different cables but nothing changed: no output from fastboot.
If I try to disconnect and then reconnect the device in bootloader mode, i get the infamous message at the bottom of the screen saying "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647" and nothing more.

However an old version of fastboot coming from a sdk (maybe an API level 15, i do not remember) on my macbook pro with osx is able to connect and send commands.

While i was searching in this forum for some answer, i've found different threads regarding this error: it maybe be a bug instead of a hw/cable problem?
I'm going to flash an official factory image taken from the google sites and then i'll try again, but what do you suggest?

UPDATE:
Even with the factory image, fastboot came out with the same error...
The Following User Says Thank You to robbetto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peadarog
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I'm having the same problem on ubuntu. I don't have a Mac to try. Thanks for the info.
-----------------------------

SF author and grateful user of:
Rooted Galaxy Nexus, modaco, Titanium Backup, XDA

Those who don't create, donate.

robbetto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peadarog View Post
I'm having the same problem on ubuntu. I don't have a Mac to try. Thanks for the info.
Code:
# fastboot protocol on maguro/toro (Galaxy Nexus)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0666", OWNER="<YOUR_USERNAME>"
This worked for me. For some reason fastboot won't work with mode 0600 as adb

bodh
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Does this work for you? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=11

from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2099241

He had the same error, and i wasn't able to understand if he got it to work.. I'm also wondering why robetto has a different vendor id..

robbetto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodh View Post
I'm also wondering why robetto has a different vendor id..
that udev rule is an extract from the "Configuring USB Access" section of the Google's Getting Started tutorial. The vendor id (and also the product id) change from samsung to google when you are in fastboot mode.

bodh
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Good to know. Can i also ask about ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30"- is this only for fastboot as well? I don't have linux, but i've considered setting it up..

robbetto
Old
(Last edited by robbetto; 14th February 2013 at 01:11 PM.) Reason: wrong link format
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodh View Post
Can i also ask about ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30"- is this only for fastboot as well?
I don't understand the question.

If you are asking about vendor/attr ids mechanism, I think that this wikipedia page it may help you understand how it's work.
Basically every device connected to your pc is identified by a pair <vendor_id:attr_id>, the first one indicating the company and is assigned per company from PCI-SIG, and the second one is choosen by the manufacturer. In this way your OS can recognise and choose the correct driver/operation to do.

If you are asking why this values change... I can't help you, sorry
What I can tell you is when your phone is normally turned on it's shown with a pair of vend/attr that is different from the one when is in bootloader mode, and the udev entry that I've suggested is useful only in this second scenario for fastboot operation.
Check out the Google's Getting Started tutorial for more infos...

hope this help...