Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,794 Members 44,806 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any file operation in TWRP fails

Tip us?

kadajawi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Any file operation in TWRP fails

Hello,
for some reason in TWRP I can't fix permissions. When I have it create a backup it fails at the point where it tries to create a folder. In the file manager I can't even rename a folder.

I'm running a CyanogenMod monthly from about 3-4 months ago, and have the latest TWRP version.

latenightchameleon
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadajawi View Post
Hello,
for some reason in TWRP I can't fix permissions. When I have it create a backup it fails at the point where it tries to create a folder. In the file manager I can't even rename a folder.

I'm running a CyanogenMod monthly from about 3-4 months ago, and have the latest TWRP version.
Sounds strange, assuming everything else works fine. Not sure, but try updating the ROM?

kadajawi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by latenightchameleon View Post
Sounds strange, assuming everything else works fine. Not sure, but try updating the ROM?
Yeah, but I'd like to do a backup before I update the ROM.

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1,521

DONATE TO ME
I wonder if your /sdcard got write protection somehow...I thought I saw @osm0sis had a flashable zip for fixing that...apologies if I'm mistaken and sorry I'm not certain where to find this zip
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!

kadajawi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Could be. But why would it only apply in TWRP? When the phone has booted everything works fine. Only in recovery do I run into problems (which makes me scared of flashing a newer ROM too...).

osm0sis
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13,902
It should make a difference booted as well, so that's odd.

Easiest thing: Try my sdcard fix permissions zip. Might work anyway. http://v.ht/osm0

More annoying: adb pull everything (my adbsync sdcard Backup might make that easy for you), format data, push it all back then run my sdcard fix permissions zip.
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post your question in the correct thread if you want a response.

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1,521

DONATE TO ME
do you use encryption?
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!

kadajawi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis View Post
It should make a difference booted as well, so that's odd.

Easiest thing: Try my sdcard fix permissions zip. Might work anyway. http://v.ht/osm0

More annoying: adb pull everything (my adbsync sdcard Backup might make that easy for you), format data, push it all back then run my sdcard fix permissions zip.
I couldn't flash the zip. It failed.

No encryption.

kadajawi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
wow. My phone is trying to screw me. Again and again and again. I've tried wiping the sdcard, didn't work. Had to factory reset it. Now that part was ok. Used TitaniumBackup to restore my phone. Reboot... and it was stuck at the boot screen.

Had to factory reset again, this time only let TitaniumBackup install my apps and their settings. Have to set up the system itself again.

Since I am using a VPN I need to lock the screen with a PIN (I hate that, but oh well... Android forces me). After I have set up the VPN, everything was working fine, at some point my phone crashed. And after it started again, I could not enter the PIN code anymore. I was locked out of my phone. The phone still displayed that I pressed a number, but no number did appear. Aaaand factory reset, AGAIN!

Really? What the hell is wrong? I'm worried it might be a hardware problem. The USB port is not working properly anymore, most of the time, and I'm afraid the built in memory is gone. Oh how I hate that. My HTC had the SD card die, but replacing it fixed it. I have a LG with fixed built in storage, where the memory died. Since I was overseas for a couple of months, and LG refuses to fix phones outside of the country it was bought, I had a brick for a few months. And now it seems to have hit my Galaxy Nexus. Yay. Who thought fixed built in storage was a good idea?