[Q] Galaxy Nexus as dedicated GPS

OP dnalevelc

22nd May 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 10

166 posts
More
I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus that is no longer in use. I was thinking on using it as a dedicated GPS. I have CoPilot USA Premium for the offline maps. Any thoughts on this? I haven't set it up yet, but I thought this would be a great way to keep using an older device. Also, I was thinking on loading it with a ton of music and using it with my car stereo over bluetooth.

Any thoughts?
23rd May 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 56

235 posts
More
Only issue is battery life sucks when GPS/BT are active and brightness is Max, so you'll definitely need a 12v charger.

Once I start my car my GN automatically starts streaming all the music/calls via BT stereo.

Also use the stock windshield mount very rarely for GPS since I find it easier to just Google it(using maps+street view) before leaving this way I'm actually learning the route for future trips in that area.

Have even used it as a dash cam but then quickly realized I don't want a record of my driving habits.
LOL
23rd May 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cleveland

166 posts
More
That sounds just like what I want to use mine for. Is your phone still active on a plan or is it disconnected?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd May 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 56

235 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalevelc

That sounds just like what I want to use mine for. Is your phone still active on a plan or is it disconnected?

Still on the same plan for the past couple of years:
$25/month unlimited talk/text/data(use 5-6gb/month).

Don't even have/need home phone line or cable internet.

Use work internet/PC to get all larger content via teamviewer remote PC app and Fongo VoIP or Skype app for long distance calls.
23rd May 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cleveland

166 posts
More
I'm having a hard time getting the GPS to actually work on the phone. If it won't work I have a nexus 5 I can use. I was hoping to use the GN since it was just collecting dust.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread