Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,123 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My Galaxy Nexus goes crazy (battery/charging issue)

Tip us?

gniouki
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Unhappy My Galaxy Nexus goes crazy (battery/charging issue)

Hi everyone (and sorry for my bad english) !

Since some days my GSM Galaxy Nexus is anoying me with a problem I can't understand.

At random moments, my GN thinks he is charging but he isn't even plugged !

The indicator in the notification bar shows the battery is in charge and all the phone believes he is charging.

Other problème, the charging indicatore comes and goes again and again and again, so the scree goes on everytime the GN is "plugged in".
My battery goes down at the speed of light this way ...

I tried to wipe, uninstall potential apps that could cause the issue, changing rom, changing kernel ... It still happening but not every time. Often it comes when the battery is under 50% or arround. I also have battery drops when I reboot the phone, like if the battery wasn't correctly calibrate ...

If I reboot the phone, the problem still here, if i get the battery off and then put it back and reboot the phone it works normaly ... for a indeterminate time ...

This problem make me crazy, is anyone got a solution ?

Thanks for all.
Yeah, I know, my english is crappy

gniouki
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Anyone can help please ?

flx-grafix
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I would definitely demand a replacement battery. For me it seems like the battery is broken, therefore it's a warranty issue. If the problem still exists, it must be the hardware of the phone itself. I don't think it's a software problem, since you wiped, changed rom and even the kernel.
So demand a replacement of the battery!

gniouki
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks for your answer ! I'll try this but I don't think samsung customer support will send me a replacement battery like that, they will ask me to send back the phone I think.

datboiro
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I recently had the same issue... here's what fixed it for me. I took the battery out and left the phone plugged into the outlet. Let it sit. I then installed the battery and let it finish its charge while the phone was off. I then took the battery out, unplugged the charger from the phone, and reinserted battery. Power on, VOILA! Mine was back to normal. Hope this helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to datboiro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gniouki
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks for helping ! I'll try this

I just saw that I'm not alone in this case : http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...sort=&id=23789

This issue is considerated as a medium priority, I hope for a fix !

Melhouse
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I have the exact same problem, and have also commented on the issue at code.google.com. I have also tried "everything". Changed ROM, kernel, wiped battery stat, even let it fully charge while off. Still the same problem where it show as charging in notification bar when unplugged.. and when it have drained to below 50% or so, it start to flicked between charging and not-charging and drains even faster.

After checking CPU Spy it tells me that the phone never goes to sleep, this causes the battery to only last about 12-14 hours by itself..

I have also tryed to open the phone and clean the connector, but it did not fix it. One thing that is strange, is if I pry a toot stick or similar in the micro-usb-connector to press the connector plate (inside the micro-usb-connector) down with the phone faced up, it actually stops to flicker and stays not-charging.

---------- Post added 5th January 2012 at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th January 2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

Same problem here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1379478 and here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post21031287

alghtani33
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem, and it make my crazy.
I bought the phone about month ago and this problem came in the second week.

datboiro
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I plugged my phone up to my car charger omw home for lunch and the stupid charging issue started to happen all over again... I had to do the whole thing over again. Remove otterbox, back shell, battery, and put it all back together. I'm really trying to avoid swapping the phone out with verizon. With the way it's looking, I'm about to call and hassle a VZW CSR and get me an instant swap in the morning. This is unacceptable SAMSUNG. Bad thing is, it must be common with Smsg phones, as I found 5 other devices of theirs that seemed to have the same problem Nexus S and Fascinate being two of them.

ryan95i4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same issue here as well, with the battery icon showing the charging bolt despite not being plugged in.

This will happen when the phone is not in use, and ill notice the screen flash on for a moment.

I tried the solution offered in this thread, only to have the symptom return just hours after powering the phone back on, and w/o being plugged back into another charger.