Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,554 Members 36,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy nexus micro sim slot?

Tip us?
 
dvice19
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 110
Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Galaxy nexus micro sim slot?

Can someone tell me for certain (someone who has the phone or has opened one up), tell me if the Galaxy Nexus has a micro sim slot or not? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere...
 
alsex87
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 121
Join Date: Nov 2010
No, normal SIM.
The Following User Says Thank You to alsex87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
martonikaj
Old
#3  
martonikaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,714
Posts: 7,850
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Just look at the instructional videos straight from google. It does not have a micro SIM. It has a standard (what we think of as standard is actually "Mini") SIM.

Remember though, you can put a micro SIM in a mini SIM slot. You just need a small plastic adapter to make it seat properly.
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!
The Following User Says Thank You to martonikaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mskip
Old
#4  
mskip's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13,685
Posts: 11,162
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norfolk

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvice19 View Post
Can someone tell me for certain (someone who has the phone or has opened one up), tell me if the Galaxy Nexus has a micro sim slot or not? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere...
The Galaxy Nexus definitely takes a normal sim card. The confusion may have arisen over phones4u sending out micro sim cards with new orders but this was a mistake and a standard sim card is the only one that will work in there.

Mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
martonikaj
Old
#5  
martonikaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,714
Posts: 7,850
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskip View Post
The Galaxy Nexus definitely takes a normal sim card. The confusion may have arisen over phones4u sending out micro sim cards with new orders but this was a mistake and a standard sim card is the only one that will work in there.

Mark.
Well like I said above, a micro SIM will work if you use an adapter. The adapters allow you to slot a micro SIM into them and provide extra plastic around them to be the size of a mini SIM.

The slot in the phone is most definitely a standard SIM slot though.
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!
The Following User Says Thank You to martonikaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
el3ctrik
Old
#6  
el3ctrik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 102
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
Just look at the instructional videos straight from google. It does not have a micro SIM. It has a standard (what we think of as standard is actually "Mini") SIM.

Remember though, you can put a micro SIM in a mini SIM slot. You just need a small plastic adapter to make it seat properly.
Not entirely true, it is possible to balance/wedge the microsim on the contacts and have a working phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
If my post has helped you, please press the thank button.

I hack phones for a living

Current:
Nexus 5 / Nexus 7 2013 / Nexus 10 / Kobo Aura HD / Pebble / Jaybird BlueBuds X

Previous:
Nexus 4 / Samsung Galaxy Nexus / Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 / iPhone 4
 
mskip
Old
#7  
mskip's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13,685
Posts: 11,162
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norfolk

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
Well like I said above, a micro SIM will work if you use an adapter. The adapters allow you to slot a micro SIM into them and provide extra plastic around them to be the size of a mini SIM.

The slot in the phone is most definitely a standard SIM slot though.
Well that would have been ok then IF an adapter had been supplied with the micro sim but as it wasnt then its totally useless lol.

Mark.
 
mskip
Old
#8  
mskip's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13,685
Posts: 11,162
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norfolk

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ctrik View Post
Not entirely true, it is possible to balance/wedge the microsim on the contacts and have a working phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
DONT wedge things in your phone lol

Mark.
 
dvice19
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 110
Join Date: Sep 2008
Thanks to u all

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
 
onenonlycasper
Old
#10  
onenonlycasper's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 18
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baltimore

 
DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Yes I agree that wedging random things in sim slot is bad idea, however....

If you happened to be like me and have tons of random mobile crap or sim leftover items like the cards that are credit card sized which house the original micro-sim often, then some of them have an actual cutout of a larger sim original size sim to be more clear which is popped out then the micro-sim is popped out of that piece. It's a backup/cheap way I figured for companies at one time to make sims and ship them out in one pack/card then when the user gets their phone and they match up what sim size they need they have both options....or I could be very wrong who knows.

Any ways, my point is simply that one of those leftover housings of a original size sim that you might have popped out a micro-sim from for another phone can come in handy as all you do is simply place your current micro-sim in the gap where another one used to be and it kind of even snaps into place then you have a bootleg like adapter for micro to original size sim. I don't know it worked me on my i9250 gsm world nexus and verizon.
Thanks,
ONENONLYCASPER aka Casper
PHONES: vzw-Galaxy S3 w-RootBox rom / att-Galaxy Note 2 w-JellyBam rom / att-Nexus 4 w-RasbeanJelly rom / att-Galaxy Nexus w-JB Sourcery rom
TABLETS: Nexus 7 gsm w-AOKP rom / Nexus 10 w-RasbeanJelly rom / Galaxy Tab 2 7" & 10.1" / Galaxy Note 10.1" / Galaxy 7.7"-vzw & 8.9"-att / Asus TF101- TF300- TF700 / and many more including Galaxy Camera w-att

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes