Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Tip us?

chjade84
Old
(Last edited by chjade84; 21st May 2012 at 04:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Default Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to chjade84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gearhead27
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I'm seeing the same thing with the whites. They almost feel like they have a yellow hue to them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

adrianr514
Old
Thanks Meter 49
normal with a pentile display same thing happened with the nexus s the rgb settings arent exactly correct

hotleadsingerguy
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Aye completely normal. It's what a high-definition Pentile screen looks like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotleadsingerguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chjade84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Well, that answers that then.

Thanks guys.

RickROM
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Is this really supposed to be normal? I'm not convinced yet.
Verizon HTC One M8 | CleanROM x Verizon Galaxy Note II | PAC x Nexus 7 II | STOCK x Verizon Galaxy Nexus | AOSPA

wadyas
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I came from a SGS2 and I can say the banding/lines/grey dots are much worse. The S2 seemed more glossy and colours seemed richer than the matt styled newspaper type of screen that the nexus has. I am quite annoyed as this was not mentioned in any of then reviews.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wadyas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leechy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
very useful post, thanks OP. i just picked up the gn two days ago, and the screen is bothering me as well. i havent done as rigorous testing as the OP, but i definitely notice similar banding at lower brightnesses. from what it sounds like, it is normal.

i came from a nexus s 4g and gs2, i've never noticed this problem with AMOLEDs in the past. very disappointing so far.

melterx12
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadyas View Post
I came from a SGS2 and I can say the banding/lines/grey dots are much worse. The S2 seemed more glossy and colours seemed richer than the matt styled newspaper type of screen that the nexus has. I am quite annoyed as this was not mentioned in any of then reviews.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
that's because the sgs2 does not use pentile, it uses full rgb, at the cost of a considerably lower resolution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melterx12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chjade84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Updated post to include an up close look at the PenTile display pixels. Appears the same as all the others FWIW.