5,604,686 Members 37,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Tip us?

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 736
nice thread, i think you should change the title and have a mod to sticky it, this helps people not starting useless threads about their display showing tint of yellow/blue/grey etc.
Samsung Galaxy Note III LTE N9005
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST

chjade84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
I think the sticky is a good idea as well. Not sure what i would need to change in the title though.

Who knows a mod? LOL

andythefan
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. It almost seems like no one else is complaining about this issue. I'm afraid to turn in my GNex for replacement because I'm afraid the replacement will be much worse than this.

jk0l
Old
Thanks Meter 35
For some reasons, the AMOLED on Samsung phones (GS, GSII, etc.) are not that great with the stock settings Samsung pre-set.
Just wait until supercurio (the guy behind voodoo project) works his voodoo magic on the GN's AMOLED.
You'll be amazed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jk0l For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chjade84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by andythefan View Post
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. It almost seems like no one else is complaining about this issue. I'm afraid to turn in my GNex for replacement because I'm afraid the replacement will be much worse than this.
For what it's worth I actually took mine back for a replacement since I had what looked almost like a fingerprint under the glass - and my replacement is somewhat better.

The blue hue when seen at an angle is a little less blue and the "linen" effect is a little more subdued as well. It's definitely still there though but I think it's worth it.

Oh why didn't they just make it standard RGB like the Galaxy S II?

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post
For what it's worth I actually took mine back for a replacement since I had what looked almost like a fingerprint under the glass - and my replacement is somewhat better.

The blue hue when seen at an angle is a little less blue and the "linen" effect is a little more subdued as well. It's definitely still there though but I think it's worth it.

Oh why didn't they just make it standard RGB like the Galaxy S II?
i've returned my galaxy nexus three time to the shop, and been through 5 units in the shop, problems were bright pixels, scratched screen inside and outside, random movement of the screen (like someone has been touching the screen continuously), in all cases the screen looked ok, just like the photos shown in first post, except for one that had a tint of purple/pink along the top of the screen(can only be seen in grey settings and dark rooms).

about the RGB, i dont think they have the technology to make super HD amoled display with RGB at low cost yet, but thats by guess.
Samsung Galaxy Note III LTE N9005
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST

RickROM
Old
Thanks Meter 163
I went to my local Verizon store, and all of the display models looked like this. A sales person let me compare to his phone, and his looked like this also.

Seems like this is just the new standard I guess, or maybe some of us have sensitive eyes.
Verizon Galaxy Note II | PAC x Nexus 7 II | STOCK x Verizon Galaxy Nexus | AOSPA

staticx57
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickROM View Post
I went to my local Verizon store, and all of the display models looked like this. A sales person let me compare to his phone, and his looked like this also.

Seems like this is just the new standard I guess, or maybe some of us have sensitive eyes.

It's one of those things that once you see it you can't unsee it and it will always bother you. I had the rezound before my nexus and the capacitive buttons all leaked light onto the screens. I had to point out this fact to the sales guy cause he didnt see it. Once he did he checked all of the display models and they all had the same problem.

That being said, all phones now a days seem to have some "problem" with them and sadly you need to pick the problems that seem to bother you the least.

vaxick
Old
Thanks Meter 8
As excited as I was for this phone, the screen alone made me return it. It's awful. It was sad comping it to my Palm Pre Plus of all instantly being amazed at how much better that screen looked compared to the Galaxy Nexus. I was never expecting to see a grainy screen full of banding.

It's also annoying no review pointed this out. I've always been annoyed at how vague most phone reviews are and the fact so many reviews just seem like they really aren't tech savvy because issues like this should be pointed out. The fact that I've read numerous reviews say the screen is absolutely gorgeous really makes me wonder if these reviewers are scared to be critical in fear of losing review units. Reviews should be critical and be picky about specifics so we don't have to discover these things after we purchase the phone.

evahnyird
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm really not that impressed with the screen overall. Every unit I have seen (9) has had some issue with color consistency across the screen, or banding that never goes away at any brightness (let alone the linen effect). The screen on my fascinate (galaxy s) is downright amazing, with whites as bright as an iPhone 4 and great vibrancy. The galaxy nexus screen (every one I have seen) is washed out and yellow in comparison, almost like it has a disgusting tan film covering the screen). By itself it looks pretty good, but side by side with any other device (IPS or my galaxy s's pentile amoled) it looks like complete crap. I really don't know how Samsung screwed this up so badly and can only hope the color temperature can be changed via software to get rid of the disgusting yellow tint.