Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Tip us?

TAMIM2007
Old
(Last edited by TAMIM2007; 28th December 2011 at 12:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7

Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

Screen in bad
Yellow Yellow Yellow
And also the bad quality
The Following User Says Thank You to TAMIM2007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RickROM
Old
Thanks Meter 165
I've gotten over it at this point. Screen looks amazing with the brightness up, and I don't notice the "problems" as much now with auto-brightness or low brightness on.

The Droid RAZR had way worse screen issues, so I can live with ours. The rest of the phone just amazes me. So fast ... I love it lol.
Verizon HTC One M8 | CleanROM x Verizon Galaxy Note II | PAC x Nexus 7 II | STOCK x Verizon Galaxy Nexus | AOSPA

evahnyird
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMIM2007 View Post

Screen in bad
Yellow Yellow Yellow
And also the bad quality
Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. My phone also has a slight pink to yellow color shift from left to right but I didn't exchange it because the exchange phone had a slightly less pronounced version of the problem, but over all had more yellow whites.
The Following User Says Thank You to evahnyird For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bongadadu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post
Pixels - They are indeed PenTile. Definitely getting true black from those that are off.

How did you take the pixel level shot? I'd like to take a shot on mine, as I don't think the pixels turn off when blacks are displayed on my handset.

chjade84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongadadu View Post
How did you take the pixel level shot? I'd like to take a shot on mine, as I don't think the pixels turn off when blacks are displayed on my handset.
I bought a Dino-Lite digital microscope for work a while back and while it's not often used for work anymore, I use it for things like this.

http://www.dino-lite.com/

It actually works very well but at $100-$400 they are pretty pricey just for playing around with.
The Following User Says Thank You to chjade84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chjade84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMIM2007 View Post

Screen in bad
Yellow Yellow Yellow
And also the bad quality
Yours seems more pink than off-white.

Sadly, this seems to be an issue with a lot of new phones. I noticed it when going from iPhone 3G to HTC EVO and now again from EVO to Nexus. I suppose the fortunate thing is that as long as you aren't using your phone side-by-side with another you get used to "white" being white and it's not that big a deal; to me at least.

The grain and banding and tint I will be happy to live with (for now) after this weekend comparing my blacks to my sister's iPhone's blacks. I even showed some people the difference between "black" and BLACK and they were astounded. They thought the area around the navigation icons was bezel - not screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to chjade84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

systemf
Old
(Last edited by systemf; 28th December 2011 at 04:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Color temp is extremely warm at low light giving into even more yellow whites. The problem is that color temp, white balance is not adjusted as a function of its brightness setting which doesn't seem to strictly only affect light output. Another thought is they purposely have it warm at low light for power consumption reasons.

bongadadu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post
I bought a Dino-Lite digital microscope for work a while back and while it's not often used for work anymore, I use it for things like this.

http://www.dino-lite.com/

It actually works very well but at $100-$400 they are pretty pricey just for playing around with.
Hmm, won't be buying that lol.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but in a completely dark room, on a pure black wallpaper using 100% brighthess the bezel looks blacker and it seems as if there is some backlight. Any one else getting this?

evahnyird
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongadadu View Post
Hmm, won't be buying that lol.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but in a completely dark room, on a pure black wallpaper using 100% brighthess the bezel looks blacker and it seems as if there is some backlight. Any one else getting this?
Yeah I think that's normal. I've had 4 of these phones (so many screen issues, I'm finally settling for the least annoying of the bunch) and they all display this characteristic.

bongadadu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evahnyird View Post
Yeah I think that's normal. I've had 4 of these phones (so many screen issues, I'm finally settling for the least annoying of the bunch) and they all display this characteristic.
Why is that though? Is it due to some reflection caused by the screen glass ?