Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,488 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Tip us?

jeNova-
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Well I understand that people here are angry and pissed.
And although I am really glad I got a good one I can understand that and I think its just bull**** what Samsung hast done here to this awesome phone.

BUT the screen is in no way the "worst screen ever" first of all most issues are just on low brightness, so on normal brightness the screen shoud be fine right?
Well it sucks anyways, but the screen itself is gorgeous. And yes that its grainy on low brightness sucks, but is it really that big of a deal? I mean who uses his phone on such a low brightness? I dont even do that in the dark.

Emama
Old
Thanks Meter 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeNova- View Post
And although I am really glad I got a good one I can understand that and I think its just bull**** what Samsung hast done here to this awesome phone.

BUT the screen is in no way the "worst screen ever" first of all most issues are just on low brightness, so on normal brightness the screen shoud be fine right?
Well it sucks anyways, but the screen itself is gorgeous. And yes that its grainy on low brightness sucks, but is it really that big of a deal? I mean who uses his phone on such a low brightness? I dont even do that in the dark.
I put in lowest brightness most of the time in my Nexus S,
so I guess it will matter

alangrig
Old
Thanks Meter 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emama View Post
I put in lowest brightness most of the time in my Nexus S,
so I guess it will matter
Either do I
Nexus 5 & HTC ONE

kolyan
Old
(Last edited by kolyan; 4th May 2012 at 01:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeNova- View Post

I dont even touch Brightness, mine is on Auto and its grainy as hell......simply unusable. I will settle when I dont see any grain at around 20% and up. My One S SAMOLED gets grainy only at 0% brightness....move slider 1 click to the right and most if not all grain goes away....whites are pure white, and blacks are pure black.....and its not even a flagship device with qHD pentile screen. How hard is it to fix a damn problem thats been there since launch date, or is it gonna be just like Nexus One were Google screwed all customers with cheap ****ty AMOLED ?

What is it with QA these days ? Is it too much to ask for a functioning phone ?

remedy1978
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan View Post
I dont even touch Brightness, mine is on Auto and its grainy as hell......simply unusable. I will settle when I dont see any grain at around 20% and up. My One S SAMOLED gets grainy only at 0% brightness....move slider 1 click to the right and most if not all grain goes away....whites are pure white, and blacks are pure black.....and its not even a flagship device with qHD pentile screen. How hard is it to fix a damn problem thats been there since launch date, or is it gonna be just like Nexus One were Google screwed all customers with cheap ****ty AMOLED ?

What is it with QA these days ? Is it too much to ask for a functioning phone ?
I had a Nexus One with an AMOLED display. It was 10 times better than the one on my Galaxy Nexus. Again, I wonder if this is a bad batch that Google is currently selling.

brian515
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emama View Post
why dont u post the link directly?
I'm a new member so XDA won't let me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy1978 View Post
I had a Nexus One with an AMOLED display. It was 10 times better than the one on my Galaxy Nexus. Again, I wonder if this is a bad batch that Google is currently selling.
I'm thinking maybe it's the same thing. I had a Nexus One too and after 2 years that phone has no burn in or image retention issues. Even the gradients look better. Apparently effective today Google isn't doing the RMAs for the Nexuses bought from the Play store and instead Samsung is. That's unfortunate since Google overnighted me a new Nexus no questions asked last time. With Samsung I now have to wait a day for some person to call me back to authorize the RMA.

kolyan
Old
(Last edited by kolyan; 4th May 2012 at 12:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy1978 View Post
Nexus One was fine, but it had bad multi touch issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian515 View Post
I'm a new member so XDA won't let me.

I'm thinking maybe it's the same thing. I had a Nexus One too and after 2 years that phone has no burn in or image retention issues. Even the gradients look better. Apparently effective today Google isn't doing the RMAs for the Nexuses bought from the Play store and instead Samsung is. That's unfortunate since Google overnighted me a new Nexus no questions asked last time. With Samsung I now have to wait a day for some person to call me back to authorize the RMA.
Rep at Google said they are overnighting me my replacement Nexus....I suppose this is pure BS?

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------
PS. screen also looks nasty on a black background. You can clearly see defects.

mingkee
Old
(Last edited by mingkee; 4th May 2012 at 12:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 254
After careful observing, mine has faint "banding" at extremely low brightness (lower than manual lowest) when using facebook app. Morerover, there is a pretty faint "ghost" when opening "Draw!". Notwithstanding that, these screen issues are not bad as the first post and they are acceptable.

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingkee View Post
After careful observing, mine has faint "banding" at extremely low brightness (lower than manual lowest) when using facebook app. Morerover, there is a pretty faint "ghost" when opening "Draw!". Notwithstanding that, these screen issues are not bad as the first post and they are acceptable.
this is normal.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

kolyan
Old
(Last edited by kolyan; 4th May 2012 at 04:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Spoke to Google about my promised exchange which was supposed to come in today and yet i dont even have a tracking number or any word that it was shipped out....

Rep said that perhaps they ran out of stock and now Samsung is handeling all claims, he also asked me if I would allow them to check my device before shipping it out to make sure there are no defects....i agreed to this.

UPDATE: just got my track. delivery tomorrow. fingers crossed