Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,180 Members 39,875 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Tip us?

lee.jarratt
Old
(Last edited by lee.jarratt; 20th April 2012 at 05:54 PM.) Reason: Changed wording
Thanks Meter 6
Hey guys,

I've just received my first replacement handset as the previous one was very grainy on low brightness and had a purple tint. This replacement handset is worse than the last, the backlight is brighter at the bottom of the screen and gets darker as you look towards the top, an issue my previous handset didn't have.

Anyway, I'm exchanging the phone for yet another one and hoping the display will be okay.. On this call however I mentioned this thread and have given the rep I was speaking to the URL which he will give to one of the managers at Phones 4u HQ and they will look/investigate the issue further. I don't know how much this helps but I'm hoping for something at least.

I will update once I receive my 2nd replacement in around 5-6 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to lee.jarratt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fyresoul
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeNova- View Post
Well I allways hated iOS but as I got an iphone (was just curious and the contract was at a good price) I ****ing loved it. Well only with jailbreak tho, without its stupid. But thats not the subject here.
I agree with you, the retina Display is ****ing awesome, alltho from what I saw in Videos the Display vom the Galaxy Nexus isnt that bad, at least not depending on colors (Compared to the retina display they are a lot better) its not as sharp as retina but from what I saw it was pretty good (?)

Im kinda scared from what I've read here tho, I would really like that phone but not under this conditions.

Is it just for US phones or for every phone?
And are there any fixed models yet?
The Ironic thing here is that Samsung makes the awesome new iPad retina displays
The Following User Says Thank You to fyresoul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Matt08642
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyresoul View Post
The Ironic thing here is that Samsung makes the awesome new iPad retina displays
They are probably easier make (consistently) because they don't use new AMOLED tech, just normal TFT IPS LCD tech.
--GNex-- Old
Thanks Meter 0
But the display is awesome I would prefer a petter white than black ! How many pages i open which are completly black and how many are white !!! You know what I mean

Flashed AOKP and Franco Kernel..fixed colors with his app and display is fine now, but it cant be a soloution to root the phone and flash kernel to fix display issues !

I will refund it on monday...hope Ill get a better display this time..5th already..
Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeNova-
Old
Thanks Meter 8
So, this is serious for me, I was almost sure to get a galaxy nexus, but if its true what I read in that thread I will definitely not buy one.

So my questions are, is it really just on lowest brightness in the dark (So under normal use, with normal brightness you wont notice anything) or is the display (or settings, whatever) really that bad? I mean if its that bad, why is the phone even out? lol. These are heavy issues for me.

And is it really possible to COMPLETLY fix it with custom kernel and a custom rom?
If so its not that big of a problem for me, since I will install a custom rom anyways I guess.

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeNova- View Post
So, this is serious for me, I was almost sure to get a galaxy nexus, but if its true what I read in that thread I will definitely not buy one.

So my questions are, is it really just on lowest brightness in the dark (So under normal use, with normal brightness you wont notice anything) or is the display (or settings, whatever) really that bad? I mean if its that bad, why is the phone even out? lol. These are heavy issues for me.

And is it really possible to COMPLETLY fix it with custom kernel and a custom rom?
If so its not that big of a problem for me, since I will install a custom rom anyways I guess.
yes and no
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition
--GNex-- Old
Thanks Meter 0
I fixed my display and looks great now with AOKP and Faux kernel

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2

martin.capeletto
Old
Thanks Meter 2
thanks for the info

sblantipodi
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I can see texture in white and grey screens, there are lines of different hue.
This display sucks.
I use the display at 50% brightness

asb123
Old
Thanks Meter 34
My phone is the example for "Tint Fade at 0% brightness"

I just want to say that it has significantly improved since I first bought my phone 3ish months ago.
Current Devices:
Sony ZL<---->Nexus 5<---->Sony SP<---->32GB HP Touchpad<---->32GB Nexus 10<---->Galaxy Nexus<---->iPad mini

Retired Granddaddy:
HTC Dream (G1)