Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,953 Members 36,507 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Tip us?

secondclaw
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I don't see the ghosting no matter what I try. My screen has purple tint, silk screen effect and awful banding but I don't see any ghosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgymnop View Post
Question regarding screen retention. Do you guys see any retention when switching between dark and brighter screens? e.g when in the google play store: you see the tiles of the application categories, when I switch between the categories music, movies etc. you have the grey background screen for a second and I can clearly see the borders from the category tiles. When I open XDA developers I see the launcher icon contours on the brownish background of the start screen. I had several AMOLED screens (Nexus One, Nexus S and GSII) and have never seen so slow reacting LEDs. I will get tomorrow my replacement but I am afraid that this will be normal.

Thanks,
Marco

Matt08642
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Question regarding screen retention. Do you guys see any retention when switching between dark and brighter screens? e.g when in the google play store: you see the tiles of the application categories, when I switch between the categories music, movies etc. you have the grey background screen for a second and I can clearly see the borders from the category tiles. When I open XDA developers I see the launcher icon contours on the brownish background of the start screen. I had several AMOLED screens (Nexus One, Nexus S and GSII) and have never seen so slow reacting LEDs. I will get tomorrow my replacement but I am afraid that this will be normal.

Thanks,
Marco
I have some Ghosting when I go from very contrasting screens. For example, if my wallpaper is black and I go to a grey screen, I can "see" my icons for a few seconds.

mgymnop
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt08642 View Post
I have some Ghosting when I go from very contrasting screens. For example, if my wallpaper is black and I go to a grey screen, I can "see" my icons for a few seconds.
Yes that's exactly what I mean. Never had this so bad before. Will see tomorrow if my replacement has that too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Matt08642
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Yes that's exactly what I mean. Never had this so bad before. Will see tomorrow if my replacement has that too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
I'm on my 3rd Galaxy Nexus and I am just keeping this one for a year or so and then getting something new.

I am so disappointed in Google/Samsung for letting such subpar screens leave the factory, especially on a flagship phone such as this.

My current Nexus has an issue of uneven colors. For instance, if you load up a grey image, the right side has a blue hue and the left side looks more yellow/green.

First 2 phones might have had this issue, but I couldn't tell because I was distracted with the HORRIBLE purple tint.

Also, the second gnex I had had a very weird feeling vibration motor. It was way stronger than my 1st one and current one, and actually felt "uncomfortable", if that makes sense.

mgymnop
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt08642 View Post
I'm on my 3rd Galaxy Nexus and I am just keeping this one for a year or so and then getting something new.

I am so disappointed in Google/Samsung for letting such subpar screens leave the factory, especially on a flagship phone such as this.

My current Nexus has an issue of uneven colors. For instance, if you load up a grey image, the right side has a blue hue and the left side looks more yellow/green.

First 2 phones might have had this issue, but I couldn't tell because I was distracted with the HORRIBLE purple tint.

Also, the second gnex I had had a very weird feeling vibration motor. It was way stronger than my 1st one and current one, and actually felt "uncomfortable", if that makes sense.
Luckily I am red-green blind so I wouldn't even see the purple. Good for me;)

Gforce083
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
I'm pretty bummed about this phones screen and the number issues many seem to have. I just got my unlocked GNex 4 days ago for $450, which is the most I have EVER paid for a phone...by $350! Now from straight on this screen looks nothing short of amazing, I have no ghosting or real grainy issues but my suffers from the "blue tint". Move the screen to even the slightest angle and it begins to show up. It's particularly annoying on grey and white screens, such as most web browsing, messages app, and gmail app.

If you reference the OP's original post, mine is just like that seen in picture 5. The photo where the 2 are laying down side by side, one's blue and the other is faintly yellowish. I'd mush rather have the yellow tint as it seems more subtle.

I don't know if I should return mine or not, any opinions? Other than this screen issues, I'm in love with the phone.

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce083 View Post
I'm pretty bummed about this phones screen and the number issues many seem to have. I just got my unlocked GNex 4 days ago for $450, which is the most I have EVER paid for a phone...by $350! Now from straight on this screen looks nothing short of amazing, I have no ghosting or real grainy issues but my suffers from the "blue tint". Move the screen to even the slightest angle and it begins to show up. It's particularly annoying on grey and white screens, such as most web browsing, messages app, and gmail app.

If you reference the OP's original post, mine is just like that seen in picture 5. The photo where the 2 are laying down side by side, one's blue and the other is faintly yellowish. I'd mush rather have the yellow tint as it seems more subtle.

I don't know if I should return mine or not, any opinions? Other than this screen issues, I'm in love with the phone.
the bluish tint is a normal thing on amoled screen from amoled-super amoled-super amoled plus and super amoled HD, if not blue the best is a cream white screen just like mine.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

Gforce083
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms108 View Post
the bluish tint is a normal thing on amoled screen from amoled-super amoled-super amoled plus and super amoled HD, if not blue the best is a cream white screen just like mine.
So you're saying I need to just deal with it? I find it really annoying

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce083 View Post
So you're saying I need to just deal with it? I find it really annoying
that is really up to you to decide, over time your eyes will get use to it.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

Gforce083
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms108 View Post
that is really up to you to decide, over time your eyes will get use to it.
Humm... I don't think my eyes will adjust to this. When using near sunlight it's not as noticeable but used indoors, even and full brightness, any slight angle the tint shows up.
83Media: Owner & Freelance Audio Engineer
Twitter: @83_Media

Android Resume:
HTC Aria
HTC Inspire 4G
HP TouchPad 16GB (CM7-CM9)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB GSM Unlocked
LG-Google Nexus 4 16GB