5,605,250 Members 38,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy nexus as USB mass storage

Tip us?

scandiun
Old
(Last edited by scandiun; 19th February 2013 at 10:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 699
Default Re: [Q] Galaxy nexus as USB mass storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova_00 View Post
I think I'm running into the same problem as the OP but with my new truck (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2152702). My truck doesn't recognize that my phone is connected and won't allow my to play music from my phone through my stereo. Does anyone have a suggestion on what exactly I can do, special cable, MOD, kernel?
If your device is a nexus there's nothing you can do because you don't have mass storage mode available. In that case, the nexus only can connect in MTP mode (media transfer protocol), and probably your truck's media player does not recognize that protocol. I have an Alpine and only supports mass storage mode, in case helps you.

You can, howerer, use a male-male 3.5mm jack and connect from the phone to the truck input, like if you were on headphones but directly to your car or truck.

RavenAlias
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hi boys!
A question about this subject... i need an answer before to buy this smartphone for my brother.

If he plugs Galaxy Nexus for example at work - at work he cannot install any drivers - does work pc station (with XP or Vista) will identify it for file transferring?

thanks for yor help!

aliaksei
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAlias View Post
Hi boys!
A question about this subject... i need an answer before to buy this smartphone for my brother.

If he plugs Galaxy Nexus for example at work - at work he cannot install any drivers - does work pc station (with XP or Vista) will identify it for file transferring?

thanks for yor help!
yes, it will be identified as a media device but you can still copy files to/from it
The Following User Says Thank You to aliaksei For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RavenAlias
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaksei View Post
yes, it will be identified as a media device but you can still copy files to/from it
thanks!

x1123
Old
Thanks Meter 522

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hi boys!

thanks for yor help!
windows always need a drivers, without drivers your PC wll not know anything at the first plugs windows will search a driver, once not found windows will ask to install drivers.

Simplicity is Ultimate Sophistication : L Da Vinci

scandiun
Old
Thanks Meter 699
Default Re: [Q] Galaxy nexus as USB mass storage

Quote:
Hi boys!

thanks for yor help!
It depends on the exact policy that the computer has. Specifically, the computer must allow to configure and install MTP drivers to the user.
NeatROM Full & Lite, Modems, RILs and Mods for SGS2 and SGS3
Download Android Universal Naked Driver for your ADB,Fastboot & APX needs

scandiun
Old
Thanks Meter 699
If you want UMS on devices that don't have it, you can use DriveDroid from market (there's both free and paid). With it, create a blank file that will be used as "partition". Then you can connect your phone to your computer and put there the songs you want. Then do the same in the car. For example, in my Nexus 7 I've created a 2 GB file which serve for that purpose (takes a while when is big).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=21
The Following User Says Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alahkel
Old
(Last edited by alahkel; 22nd March 2013 at 10:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun View Post
If you want UMS on devices that don't have it, you can use DriveDroid from market (there's both free and paid). With it, create a blank file that will be used as "partition". Then you can connect your phone to your computer and put there the songs you want. Then do the same in the car. For example, in my Nexus 7 I've created a 2 GB file which serve for that purpose (takes a while when is big).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=21
Hey, I installed it on my gnexus, created the blank file but when I connect it to my pc nothing happens am I missing something? thanks

EDIT: ok my Xubuntu recognizes it as a linux file cd-gadget (??), but it is not mounted and I seem to not being able to mount it.

scandiun
Old
Thanks Meter 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by alahkel View Post
Hey, I installed it on my gnexus, created the blank file but when I connect it to my pc nothing happens am I missing something? thanks

EDIT: ok my Xubuntu recognizes it as a linux file cd-gadget (??), but it is not mounted and I seem to not being able to mount it.
Make sure to check both checkboxes in options menu. You need the phone rooted of course. A device should appear on your computer.