Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Getting a syntax error when trying to load a script

Tip us?

XenoBreak
Old
(Last edited by XenoBreak; 27th May 2014 at 04:06 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Getting a syntax error when trying to load a script

Hi. I just finished installing CyanogenMod 11 on my Galaxy Nexus. I also put the DirtyV-SR kernel on as well. Everything seems to be working fine. I then learned about a custom edit of the DirtyV kernel by Nephilim that seems to be popular. I have no idea how to change the settings manually though. Luckily in the DirtyV post there is a link to a script by the user "buscher" that supposedly does the changes for you. I followed the instructions and put the script in the System/etc/init.d folder, removed the .txt extension on the script, and changed it's permission settings (I think I changed the permissions correctly). I'm using an app called SManager to do this BTW. When I try to launch the script I get a syntax error. Here is a screen shot of said error...

i.imgur. com/ b5jAVe3. jpg
(Added spaces so I could post the link)

Link to DirtyV thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...irtyv-t2613655
Link to buscher's post with the script: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...5#post50202995

Does anyone have any idea what im doing wrong? Or perhapsna different way to use Nephilims version of DirtyV?
Thx

_b_d_
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've never used any of the scripts you're talking about, but normally that syntax error means that there's a coding error in the script file that the interpreter doesn't know how to handle. I looked at the script in that thread and I can't see anything that would jump out as being problematic, so there's a chance something may have happened when you downloaded the script or copied it to the device.

I'd say you should try downloading the script again directly on your device, and make sure you're clicking the "Download" button on the Mediafire page with the script instead of doing a "save link as" or anything similar from the forum thread. You may even want to open it up in a text editor app and compare it to the version online to make sure that the file matches.

XenoBreak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Alright so I redownloaded it and got it to run this time. My problem now is that it seems some of the required directories for the script don't exist on my phone for some reason.

Here's a new screenshot of the errors

http:// i.imgur. com /mjBjQ88. jpg (again had to add spaces)

_b_d_
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It's probably safe to ignore those errors, they probably come from that script being older than the latest kernel version you're running it against. Basically, Linux kernels create a whole bunch of files and folders in /sys that control certain kernel settings. By writing a value to specific files, you can change those settings. Those two errors are the result of the script trying to change two settings files that don't exist anymore, possibly because they were removed in a newer version of the kernel. The rest of the script should run without problems and make the rest of the changes.

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1521

DONATE TO ME
just wanted to say, there is no need for script manager to run that script.
remove the .txt
put it in /etc/init.d folder/dir
set all perms(i.e rwxrwxrwx)
then just reboot
it will automatically run and set everything in the script when the device boots.

also
if you want to set those things from nephilim thread, use the app called trickster mod(or Synapse, though trickster might be less overwhelming for someone new to setting these things)
enjoy
any questions feel free to ask
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!