Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] GNEX charges battery (tested 2 batts), but still thinks it's empty (0%)

OP dfan

19th October 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

93 posts
Hi XDA, I've got a weird situation.

GT-i9250M was stock and unlocked but seemed to not charge. It shows "charging 0%", but never gets to 1%. Tried 2 batts, same deal. USB is connecting fine, but battery won't read above 0%.

I get ready to charge the battery externally and double check polarity via multimeter and I see the weirdest thing - the battery is full! The phone just cannot detect the full battery inside.

Because in Recovery the phone is fine unplugged, I suspect SW, so I wiped everything and installed CM11. No change. As soon as Android boots it thinks it's starving for juice.

[edit]

Recovery can run just fine without the USB connection, which proves the phone can get juice from the battery. However, I can't get the bootloader to launch recovery without a cable connected. TWRP also cannot reboot to bootloader without a cable.

Once launched, recovery can run on and on even without a USB cable - seemingly proving that the battery is still connected.

TL;DR:
Phone cannot function (reads 0% charge) in Android without a leash despite a full battery (manually measured ~4.15VDC).

It only reads empty in Android, not issues pre-boot (recovery, etc work without cable). see edit above

Same problem after wiping everything TWRP allowed and installing a fresh CM11.

Any ideas?
Last edited by dfan; 19th October 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: clarity
19th October 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

93 posts
Update - Since I can run CM11 while on cable, I installed a battery calibration app that reads voltage (how reliably I'm not sure).

It's telling me the battery is at 3.25VDC which would make sense if I hadn't already measured the voltage directly.

If the phone "sees" 3.25VDC then the problem makes more sense, but how can I "recalibrate" the phone's measurement?

Update 2 - the app is showing a very slow rise in voltage over time.

The real voltage is still between 4.1 and 4.2VDC, so the phone is somehow reading it almost a whole volt low...
Last edited by dfan; 19th October 2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: more info
5th November 2014, 10:43 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 524

692 posts
I also have the same problem. Do update us if you find a solution to this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery 0%, battery full, can't use battery, charge if it is off
Previous Thread Next Thread