Google Connectivity Service for free wi-fi assistant possible w/ latest update?

Search This thread

ryancell

Jul 23, 2014
Akron, Ohio
Latest google connectivity service update says it offers nexus devices wi-fi assistant to connect to public places such as a starbucks, mcdonalds etc automatically...Could there be a way to enable this on a Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have service and just used as a wifi device/mp3 player for a car?

Official play store info says the below, but I don't have a networking option on my galaxy nexus. I do however have this option on my Nexus 6 that I use on Project Fi cell service...

Google Connectivity Services is now available to Nexus devices, enabling them to securely auto-connect to quality public Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi Assistant. Activate this in Settings > Google > Networking.
• New notifications to help you discover and secure open Wi-Fi.
• Security and performance improvements.

Thanks!!!

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
Latest google connectivity service update says it offers nexus devices wi-fi assistant to connect to public places such as a starbucks, mcdonalds etc automatically...Could there be a way to enable this on a Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have service and just used as a wifi device/mp3 player for a car?

Official play store info says the below, but I don't have a networking option on my galaxy nexus. I do however have this option on my Nexus 6 that I use on Project Fi cell service...

Google Connectivity Services is now available to Nexus devices, enabling them to securely auto-connect to quality public Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi Assistant. Activate this in Settings > Google > Networking.
• New notifications to help you discover and secure open Wi-Fi.
• Security and performance improvements.

Thanks!!!

Actually, you typically connect to public (open) hotspots via a browser - which ANY phone or tablet supports; I did this with my tablet all over Las Vegas - literally from NYNY to the Wynn. (And my tablet is NOT a Nexus device; it's a Lenovo A7-30F.) Works on airplane hotspots, too. If you can download the Google Connect app (free on the Play Store), you can use those services with any hotspot that supports them; however, I haven't needed to.
If you are a customer of any provider that is part of what I call the Hotspot Network (mostly cable-TV providers, such as Comcast and Spectrum) their free apps will let you in to any hotspot that is part of the network - anywhere in North America.

ryancell

Jul 23, 2014
Akron, Ohio
Thanks for the reply. I think my main thing was that with my Nexus 6 I have, if I go to say a mcdonalds or somewhere public thats a legit hotspot, it would connect to the open network automatically. I wouldn't have to go into the wifi and manually connect to that hotspot. It would just connect securely on its own w/ encryption. Being I only use the device for a car device, its good to update calendars/events is about it for me, but it does it at home and work enough to make due I suppose.