XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS All of a Sudden Not Locking

Tip us?

nyijedi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 240
Default GPS All of a Sudden Not Locking

Out of nowhere, my GSM Galaxy Nexus (stock JB) won't lock onto any satellites. It literally started happening out of nowhere. I navigated fine somewhere, did nothing to my phone, and on the way home I couldn't get a lock. Actually, I FINALLY got a lock after about 20 minutes, but I've been unable to get a lock since.

I reset and redownloaded agps data using GPS Test, and nothing. I also cleared data and cache in maps, and pulled the battery. GPS Test shows that the phone quickly sees 7 to 11 satellites, but none in use.

Any ideas? I'm really stumped. What could have caused this? Should my next step be flashing a different radio, reflashing JB, or anything else? Help!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nyijedi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thyrus
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2124
Same here tried multiple roms and no luck. But be something universal... server or similar

jjjsong
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Same here. I just noticed this yesterday.
It actually will lock for me but it would take like 3+ minutes using the GPS test app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

nyijedi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrus View Post
Same here tried multiple roms and no luck. But be something universal... server or similar
Very interesting. Did it just start last night as well? At least this would indicate it's not a hardware problem.

Also, for what it's worth, the GPS is working fine on my buddy's Nexus 7 and my wife's Verizon galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

achan68
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Bizarre...this happened to me as well...GPS Test would indicate that the phone was seeing 7-8 satellites, but would take forever to lock, if at all. At the time I was playing with Tasker and automating some GPS actions, so I thought maybe I screwed something up. GPS lock seems a bit better today, but still not as good as before

jjjsong
Old
Thanks Meter 1
While GPS test for me would take a few minutes before any lock, Google map will seemingly to get 0 lock no matter how long I wait.

I had my nexus 7 next to my phone yesterday. I started Google map on my galaxy nexus for 5 min or so with no lock but the nexus 7 only took 5 sec to get a lock.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

virus5877
Old
Thanks Meter 3
This definitely happend to both me and my girlfriend just yesterday evening! I did nothing, neither did she. I'm running JellyBelly v3, she's on stock Jelly Bean.

in GPS Test app, both of us can see 8-9 sats, but get 0 locks.

I've tried editing gps.conf file on both phones, no luck.

I've reflashed my ROM 3 times, no luck.

I have no idea what's going on here, I thought it was just us until I read this thread!

so glad I'm not going insane....

Now to just find a fix
Galaxy Nexus - JellyBelly ROM
The Following User Says Thank You to virus5877 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wmdnc1990
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Same thing for me... No gps for navigated today..
Also news and weather won't connect to the server either... All happened at the same time

burhanistan
Old
Thanks Meter 186
I was wondering if I had a defective unit. GPS sucks on the Nexus. On my Note, it locks within a few seconds.

achan68
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by burhanistan View Post
I was wondering if I had a defective unit. GPS sucks on the Nexus. On my Note, it locks within a few seconds.
I agree that the GN GPS is not as strong as some other devices, but it's never performed as bad as it did yesterday. This is really curious that the problem was this widespread. Maybe some solar flares yesterday that impacted some weaker performing devices like the GN?