OP Nephilim

9th December 2012, 10:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 9,322

6,652 posts
Donate to Me
More
Can anyone tell me what "fused location" is? Almost everytime I boot my Gnex I get "Unfortunately Fused Location has stopped working", while this does not generally affect how my device runs in any way it is quite annoying and seems to only have started happening since I updated to a 4.2.x based rom.

Any input on what the hell this is and what it does if anything would be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th December 2012, 11:59 PM   |  #2  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 184

1,312 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankblaze

Can anyone tell me what "fused location" is? Almost everytime I boot my Gnex I get "Unfortunately Fused Location has stopped working", while this does not generally affect how my device runs in any way it is quite annoying and seems to only have started happening since I updated to a 4.2.x based rom.

Any input on what the hell this is and what it does if anything would be great.

Read this.

http://www.androidcentral.com/why-ne...ave-no-sd-card
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCguy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2013, 01:03 PM   |  #3  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 31

479 posts
More
Sorry to bump this, but I am getting high battery usage from Fused Location, saying it's using my GPS, but GPS is turned off. Are you sure it's to do with the file system?
2nd January 2013, 09:15 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 205

554 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellisere

Sorry to bump this, but I am getting high battery usage from Fused Location, saying it's using my GPS, but GPS is turned off. Are you sure it's to do with the file system?

Edit: As pointed out below, my reply here is actually not relating to the topic at hand. I'll leave it, in case someone finds this thread trying to look for fuse filesystem information, though. Sorry about the off-topic reply.

Wikipedia:

Quote:

Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE) is a loadable kernel module for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create their own file systems without editing kernel code. This is achieved by running file system code in user space while the FUSE module provides only a "bridge" to the actual kernel interfaces.

In Android 4.2, specifically, it's used to take the physical filesystem /data/media and create the virtual filesystem /mnt/shell/emulated. /mnt/shell/emulated/0 is then symlinked to /storage/emulated/legacy, which is symlinked to /sdcard, /mnt/sdcard, and /storage/sdcard0.
Last edited by Cilraaz; 3rd January 2013 at 02:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cilraaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 01:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 5,331

884 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz

In Android 4.2, specifically, it's used to take the physical filesystem /data/media and create the virtual filesystem /mnt/shell/emulated. /mnt/shell/emulated/0 is then symlinked to /storage/emulated/legacy, which is symlinked to /sdcard, /mnt/sdcard, and /storage/sdcard0.

Guys, you all get it wrong. According to android source code (FusedLocationProvider), Fused Location is actually a location service which combines GPS location and network location to achieve balance between battery consumption and accuracy. It has no connection to the fuse file system.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oasisfeng For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 02:10 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 9,322

6,652 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisfeng

Guys, you all get it wrong. According to android source code (FusedLocationProvider), Fused Location is actually a location service which combines GPS location and network location to achieve balance between battery consumption and accuracy. It has no connection to the fuse file system.

Actually I was referring to the fused location.apk, not fusedlocationprovider, so what's said above makes more sense being as on the old versions of paranoidandroid it would stop working yet I had no issue with GPS/locations.

Sent from my AOSPA Galaxy Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 02:37 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 205

554 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisfeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankblaze

Actually I was referring to the fused location.apk, not fusedlocationprovider, so what's said above makes more sense being as on the old versions of paranoidandroid it would stop working yet I had no issue with GPS/locations.

My mistake. Ignore my reply, then. Unfortunately, I haven't had any reason to look into either FusedLocationProvider or the apk, so I can't actually be of any use. Sorry about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cilraaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2013, 09:43 PM   |  #8  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 45

192 posts
More
google maps doesn't yet utilize the newly announced Fused Location Provider
Am I correct in the assumption that the current google maps doesn't yet utilize the newly announced Fused Location Provider? I mean I've always kept location services off because of the substantial hit in battery life. Having received the new Google Play Services API, I tried to turn Location Reporting back on, but its hunger for battery hasn't decreased. I had to turn it off after half a day to make it to the end of the day. My guess is that the current version of maps still uses the old API services. Actually, this is my HOPE.
4th June 2013, 02:18 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

52 posts
Talking Fused Location= Google's new GPS system
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellisere

Supposedly ultra-low battery usage and really fast/responsive-- provides the GPS requirements of applications on Android with very little battery usage. It might be using up battery because of some bad coding where it is repeatedly trying to gain access to the GPS but cannot in a loop. Try to turn on GPS and see what other programs you have that are using GPS/Fused Location.
6th July 2013, 01:14 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
Battery Low Fused Location Battery Drain
Hi all! I am on a Gnex CM10.1.0 stable. I have started using Carat to try and track down what is using up my battery so quickly. Carat was pointing to the Fused Location as a big drain, so I have force stopped it to see if it will help. I use my GPS a good bit, so will be an interesting test.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread