Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,741 Members 47,049 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HELP I think that I have finally bricked my phone!

Tip us?

yasir.97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Unhappy [Q] HELP I think that I have finally bricked my phone!

Hey XDAers,
I need your help. I think my phone's eMmc chip is dead. Today my phone's screen didnt turn on, I suspected it to be just a buggy kernel or ROM so as any other person would do, I removed the battery and rebooted. Well it did reboot although the boot animation (of Vanir) was lagging. Then I got to my lockscreen but when i was entering my passcode it was extremely laggy and it continued that way for like a min or 2 just freezing for like 5 seconds then continuing until it finally froze for like a min and I decided to reboot. Same thing happened, I kept trying to reboot sometimes it would just freeze others it would reboot on its own. Then I went into recovery and fixed permissions... same thing. Then I wiped dalvik cache, same results. I finally decided to connect it to the PC and pulled everything from the phone using adb and made a nandroid backup to my USB flash drive using my OTG cable and CWM, because when I tried backing up normally to the internal memory I was faced with errors. So then as a last resort I just was gonna flash to stock using fastboot (by the Nexus toolkit). While flashing I got an error telling me that the baseband version I have is different than the one required. even though the baseband from the .tgz or whatever file was successfully flashed. So apparently my radio is UGLL1 (I think) and the radio included in .tgz package was XXLJ1 and even though it was flashed, it didnt change. I tried manually flashing the radio and it also didnt change. So i went in the .tgz file and edited the android-info.txt file inside so that it doesnt require the XXLJ1 baseband to be present and instead just the UGLL1. It started flashing but got stuck at flashing the system partition after it was "sent". At this point I started paniking because normally flashing stock solves everything. So I tried using ODIN (my first time with it) and it took 30 mins to flash everything (25 mins just for flashing system. I was feeling optimistic since it was successfully completed.
Then it rebooted and I see the Vanir boot animation >_> WHATTT??? after all these system flashes and wipes Vanir is still present?? Then after it boots it takes my right to my same lockscreen, like the data and system partition weren't even touched!!! And its still lagging and freezing. So I go to TWRP recovery and try deleting everything from /data/media which works then I reboot again in recovery and everything is back ??? I cant wipe anything. I can add things because I remember earlier during this process I pushed a zip file.

I AM DYING HERE OMG MY PHONE IS LIKE MY LIFE. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! I THINK ITS DEAD BUT I'LL TRY ANYTHING

jhonnyx
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Same issue I had; unfortunately that is describing the painful EMMC death. Had to buy another GNEX (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1909331 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2354641)
Actual devices:
Phone:
Galaxy Nexus - Rom: Resurrection Remix powered by kernel crackflash by HybridTeam
Tablet:
HP Touchpad - Rom: Latest CM10 from SGA (thanks a lot for all your work!)

yasir.97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonnyx View Post
Same issue I had; unfortunately that is describing the painful EMMC death. Had to buy another GNEX (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1909331 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2354641)
This is devastating me... I've been crying for the past half hour about this. I never thought this could happen, that this device could be bricked
Do you know if Samsung could help me with this, like if they could replace the motherboard maybe. Hopefully it doesn't cost much trying to think of any under-$100 options.

aaron13
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasir.97 View Post
This is devastating me... I've been crying for the past half hour about this. I never thought this could happen, that this device could be bricked
Do you know if Samsung could help me with this, like if they could replace the motherboard maybe. Hopefully it doesn't cost much trying to think of any under-$100 options.
You can try Samsungs warranty. Once I bricked my motherboard and got it replaced.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yasir.97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron13 View Post
You can try Samsungs warranty. Once I bricked my motherboard and got it replaced.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
They said it would cost about $300 in total. The employee advised me to buy a new phone which I'm going to do. I'll get the Nexus 5 now .
I'm gonna miss this Galaxy Nexus community

Jhall8
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasir.97 View Post
They said it would cost about $300 in total. The employee advised me to buy a new phone which I'm going to do. I'll get the Nexus 5 now .
I'm gonna miss this Galaxy Nexus community
If your screen is in good shape, you may be able to sell your Gnex for parts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app