[Q] [Honest curiosity] About updates and AOSP

Tip us?

sugar0
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] [Honest curiosity] About updates and AOSP

If there's already source for 4.0.3 why don't devs (whom i'll always not thanks enough for their work) makes an update? Only Google can make an incremental update and we need a full AOSP rom ?

joshnichols189
Old
Thanks Meter 1370
? There are 4.0.3 roms
Iphone 4S Nokia N9
LG Voyager OG Sidekick
Blackberry Tour 9630 Blackberry Storm 9530
Motorola Droid Droid Bionic; Droid X
HTC Droid Incredible HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Droid Incredible 2 HTC Trophy
HTC Rezound; HTC One S HTC One X HTC G2
Asus Transformer Nook Tablet
Samsung Fascinate Galaxy Nexus Galaxy Note
Galaxy SII i9100 White Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy SIII i9300 Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

IINexusII
Old
Thanks Meter 314
all the main roms i see in the dev section are 4.0.3

sugar0
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Sorry if i wasn't clear enough.
I mean: i'm on stock 4.0.1 and i don't want to wipe now. Isn't there a way to make an incremental update 4.0.3 instead of flashing an entire rom?

Royal2000H
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Also as a Nexus device, wasn't one of the benefits that Google would put out the updates very quickly?

They have 4.0.3 just sitting there, is there any reason why they're not putting it out?

F0l3ert
Old
Thanks Meter 3
The 4.0.3 roms are based off from the uncompiled 4.0.3 source that google releases to the public, which developers can compile and test their apps on.
As for your 4.0.1, is your device a yakju, or jakjuux? Check with the GN checker app on the market. If its jakjuux, it wont be updated until samsung says so, meanwhile if you are running jakju, you should be able to go to 4.0.2, which has been released as an OTA through google. Hope this helps.

Sent from my MZ604 using xda premium
Nexus 5 - 4.4,
HTC One Developer Edition - 4.3
Nexus 7 3G - 4.3

sugar0
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0l3ert View Post
The 4.0.3 roms are based off from the uncompiled 4.0.3 source that google releases to the public, which developers can compile and test their apps on.
As for your 4.0.1, is your device a yakju, or jakjuux? Check with the GN checker app on the market. If its jakjuux, it wont be updated until samsung says so, meanwhile if you are running jakju, you should be able to go to 4.0.2, which has been released as an OTA through google. Hope this helps.

Sent from my MZ604 using xda premium
I'm yakju bu you didn't get my point or neither i'm not explaining what it could be only my imagination. BUT
If the source code it's released why it can't be a 6/10/20 mb packet that can upgrade my system like a FOTA update can do ?

zephiK
Old
Thanks Meter 3267

DONATE TO ME
Because 4.0.3 has some bugs that needs to be fixed. The 4.0.3 OTA was released for Nexus S then pulled because of the bugs it was having.
You think if it was ready, they'd release it. Give it time, people are so ungrateful when 95% of the Android Community are still on Android 2.3.X and below.

If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.
Twitter -- If you actually need to get in contact with me just tweet me rather than PMs its more efficient and I can get back to you faster.

Nexus 5 (D820): Purity | Franco Kernel
Nexus 4 (E960): Purity | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Galaxy Nexus, ASUS TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1

sugar0
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.
I've never complained and you didn't answered my question

Arrio
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
Because 4.0.3 has some bugs that needs to be fixed. The 4.0.3 OTA was released for Nexus S then pulled because of the bugs it was having.
You think if it was ready, they'd release it. Give it time, people are so ungrateful when 95% of the Android Community are still on Android 2.3.X and below.

Not really, there's a source released for the GNex from Google.

Sugar0, I will try compiling that stock source and tell you how it goes.