Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] [Honest curiosity] About updates and AOSP

OP sugar0

3rd January 2012, 10:53 PM   |  #1  
sugar0's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
If there's already source for 4.0.3 why don't devs (whom i'll always not thanks enough for their work) makes an update? Only Google can make an incremental update and we need a full AOSP rom ?
3rd January 2012, 11:04 PM   |  #2  
joshnichols189's Avatar
Senior Member
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,392
 
6,933 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
? There are 4.0.3 roms
3rd January 2012, 11:09 PM   |  #3  
IINexusII's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 332
 
1,135 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
all the main roms i see in the dev section are 4.0.3
3rd January 2012, 11:20 PM   |  #4  
sugar0's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Sorry if i wasn't clear enough.
I mean: i'm on stock 4.0.1 and i don't want to wipe now. Isn't there a way to make an incremental update 4.0.3 instead of flashing an entire rom?
3rd January 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #5  
Royal2000H's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
200 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Also as a Nexus device, wasn't one of the benefits that Google would put out the updates very quickly?

They have 4.0.3 just sitting there, is there any reason why they're not putting it out?
3rd January 2012, 11:48 PM   |  #6  
Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
The 4.0.3 roms are based off from the uncompiled 4.0.3 source that google releases to the public, which developers can compile and test their apps on.
As for your 4.0.1, is your device a yakju, or jakjuux? Check with the GN checker app on the market. If its jakjuux, it wont be updated until samsung says so, meanwhile if you are running jakju, you should be able to go to 4.0.2, which has been released as an OTA through google. Hope this helps.



Sent from my MZ604 using xda premium
3rd January 2012, 11:55 PM   |  #7  
sugar0's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0l3ert

The 4.0.3 roms are based off from the uncompiled 4.0.3 source that google releases to the public, which developers can compile and test their apps on.
As for your 4.0.1, is your device a yakju, or jakjuux? Check with the GN checker app on the market. If its jakjuux, it wont be updated until samsung says so, meanwhile if you are running jakju, you should be able to go to 4.0.2, which has been released as an OTA through google. Hope this helps.



Sent from my MZ604 using xda premium

I'm yakju bu you didn't get my point or neither i'm not explaining what it could be only my imagination. BUT
If the source code it's released why it can't be a 6/10/20 mb packet that can upgrade my system like a FOTA update can do ?
4th January 2012, 12:14 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 5,781
 
13,651 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Because 4.0.3 has some bugs that needs to be fixed. The 4.0.3 OTA was released for Nexus S then pulled because of the bugs it was having.
You think if it was ready, they'd release it. Give it time, people are so ungrateful when 95% of the Android Community are still on Android 2.3.X and below.

If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.
4th January 2012, 12:26 AM   |  #9  
sugar0's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK

If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.

I've never complained and you didn't answered my question
4th January 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #10  
Arrio's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
166 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK

Because 4.0.3 has some bugs that needs to be fixed. The 4.0.3 OTA was released for Nexus S then pulled because of the bugs it was having.
You think if it was ready, they'd release it. Give it time, people are so ungrateful when 95% of the Android Community are still on Android 2.3.X and below.

If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.

Not really, there's a source released for the GNex from Google.

Sugar0, I will try compiling that stock source and tell you how it goes.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes